Dahua NVR: Only one camera per port? **SOLVED: NVR MUST BE PUT INTO BRIDGE MODE**

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm going to be installing another camera beside a camera already mounted. Not wanting to run another cable, I've purchased two POE splitters/extenders.

To run a test, I unplugged two cameras from my NVR, plugged them into a splitter and then connected the splitter to one of the ports that one of the cameras was using.

The lights on the splitters show network traffic and the POE screen on the DVR shows the POE port supplying ~6.6W. Since each camera on it's own uses about 2.1W during daytime, this sounds about right since 2 x 2.1 = 4.2 And the splitter would require some power which is 2.4W (6.6 - 4.2).

But only one camera can be found. The NVR adds the camera to the camera list automatically (it's been doing this since the last firmware upgrade) and the camera operates without issue.

When I use my laptop to ping the IP of the second camera, the one not appearing, the ping isn't returned. If I plug the second camera into a port on the NVR, it works fine. So I've eliminated a camera and/or cable issue.

It seems that the Dahua NVR only wants one camera per port connected. The POE rating on each port is 25.5W which isn't the issue. I have a 4K night camera connected to one port which uses up to 9W at night. This is in excess of the 6.6W that is showing with the splitter and two cameras attached to the splitter.

DVR: NVR4216-16P-4KS2/L
Firmware: 4.002.0000000.4.R

I'd really like to get this resolved and be able to install another camera without running more cable. These devices should work but I believe the NVR is preventing this for some reason.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

IMG20221103084725.jpgIMG20221103084738.jpg

Last edited:

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you have to use a POE switch to plug into the NVR's built in swtich.

Those "splitters" are only useful for powering a POE flood light.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
you have to use a POE switch to plug into the NVR's built in swtich.

Those "splitters" are only useful for powering a POE flood light.
I am familiar with the splitters you are referring to. They separate the communications from the power on the POE connection.

This one is different. It has one POE input from the NVR and two POE outputs. Can connect two POE devices (cameras in my case) or a POE camera and another splitter to another two cameras.

Just solved the issue myself. Put the NVR into bridge mode and BAM! This video cleared it up for me.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just solved the issue myself. Put the NVR into bridge mode and BAM! This video cleared it up for me.
That would be because you didn't set up a static connection in the cameras and when you joined the LAN network (putting it in bridge mode) the router assigned them a ip address.
I do forget that some people don't know the steps especially if pnp doesn't work because of the network devices used.
But to be fair, the NVR manufacturer would only guarantee plug and play from cameras exclusively connected to the switch ports on the back of the NVR

Last edited:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
That would be because you didn't set up a static connection in the cameras and when you joined the LAN network (putting it in bridge mode) the router assigned them a ip address.
I do forget that some people don't know the steps especially if pnp doesn't work because of the network devices used.
But to be fair, the NVR manufacturer would only guarantee plug and play from cameras exclusively connected to the switch ports on the back of the NVR
I've always had PnP disabled and assigned static IPs to the camera. Something seemed to change with the latest upgrade to the firmware. I had static IP addresses starting at 10.1.1.11 for the cameras but after the upgrade, the NVR forced them to start at 10.1.1.65 and assigned them according to the port they were connected to. I had made no other changes other than the firmware. Bridge mode was always off.

But the switch to bridge mode fixed it. Had to reassign IPs to all of the cameras and VTO but the splitter is working 100%.

Beats running more cable.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've always had PnP disabled and assigned static IPs to the camera. Something seemed to change with the latest upgrade to the firmware. I had static IP addresses starting at 10.1.1.11 for the cameras but after the upgrade, the NVR forced them to start at 10.1.1.65 and assigned them according to the port they were connected to. I had made no other changes other than the firmware. Bridge mode was always off.
That is because the firmware assigned the camera port interface 10.1.1.64 and started the list at 10.1.1.65 which it doesn't make a difference if you would have just re entered the proper ip in the camera list. Of course, you could have just assigned the camera port address back to the original ip of 10.1.1.10 so the cam address list start at 10.1.1.11.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
hi @CanCuba

You said you are using

is there the bridge mode available or did you upgrade the nvr ?

is the automatic assignment to the ports (10.1.1.65) now gone ?

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
hi @CanCuba

You said you are using

is there the bridge mode available or did you upgrade the nvr ?

is the automatic assignment to the ports (10.1.1.65) now gone ?
I'm still on the same version with a build date of 29-7-22.

Bridge mode is off and plug and play is off.

Yes, the autoassig ment of IP to port is gone.

This was necessary in my setup because I am using some POE multiplexers to connect two cameras to the same port. This was failing with the autoassigning. Also, the separate ethernet port is on the same subnet so I was able to hook my access point up to it.

Hope this helps.