Dahua NVR Purchased

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have most of my cameras installed, and they are all wired to a POE switch in the garage. Now I have my Dahua NVR. I went through the wiki, and although it gets into setting up the VLAN and isolating the cameras somewhat I have not found a step my step or instructions on how to set the Dahua NVR up.

I already have a Ubiquiti Edge Router and an open port. So I do know from a previous poster I am suppose to install the NVR directly into the router, but aside from that I am in need of some help here. Can any of you point me in the right direction? Thanks so much.

Oh and Andy has been great!

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @Blue65 !
First things first: immediately close any open port (forward) you made!
This being said: there are tons of tutorials on "OpenVPN installation Edgerouter". I have applied already a couple of Ubiquity blueprints with VLANS, VPN, firewalls - not all environments are the same, but in brief, here is a possible project plan:
  1. Define the physical network layout: which wire goes where (eg IPC's directly into POE switch or into POE ports on NVR) - start from your internet access (being cable modem, A/VDSL modem, Axion router or whatever comes out of your wall UTP-wise.
  2. Define the logical network layout:
    1. Are you going to use VLANs (till the edgerouter - which requires managed switches alongst the lines) or are you going to work through subnets (and let the Edgerouter route (read: firewall) between the different subnets)
    2. In case of VLAN: define the number of vlans you require (I suggest at least 3: "vlan 10": internet-IN, "vlan 20": IPC network, "vlan 30": intranet), but in my own setup, I opened up for "IOT","NAS","domotics" etc)
    3. In case of Subnets: define those (eg 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x). Just one tech pitfall: if you are going to VPN outwards (eg to your office): do NOT take that network addressee in your own LAN. That's a recipe for (routing) disaster.
  3. Do use the OOTB wizards (eg SOHO has vlans) so you now know which ports are available for the NVR/IPC network, which are for WAN and for the other networks.
  4. Install OpenVPN on the Edgerouter (it is pre-installed with the latest firmware, you only need to setup the certificates)
  5. Create the OpenVPN client profile (.ovpn) and deploy it on your mobile
As many people wrote: Ubiquity is not for the "network consumer", if these 5 steps are chinese for you, I'd suggest you start reading tons of forums, or you might end up with a honeypot system.

Hope this gives you a headstart!
CC