Dahua NVR - recommendations of remote access software and mobile app

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm quite confused here. I recently picked up a Dahua NVR4832. It is EOL but will suit my needs. Up until now I have been using Milestone Xprotect and would like to explore the option of going over to NVR now that I am moving to Dahua cameras.

Basically I just want to be able to remote view live, playback and export from another (Windows) computer on my network. Also a mobile app that I can use to do the same. I have a managed switch with pOE that cameras, NVR and router are connected to.

I have finally managed to get access to the NVR UI by installing Pale Moon 32bit browser.

It seems that this allows for remote viewing and changing of all settings on the NVR without having to hook up a monitor. There seems to be separate software made by Dahua called PMSS and another called DSS. Are there any real advantages to using these over the UI? What is the difference between them for a small home user (<8 cameras).

Also there is mention of various flavours of mobile app including DMSS and DSS agile 8. Any comments of which people have found is the best?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
SmartPSS is the way to go for viewing/monitoring live, playback, and downloading clips. It has other functionality as well but be careful to make any setting change on the cameras themselves where possible vs using the NVR or SmartPSS. Basically if it’s a camera function setting, make it on the camera. Less problems with things synching up.

I use the NVR UI primarily for master recording and network settings.

* When installing SmartPSS it may ask you if you want to install 2 modules. One is PC-NVR, a PC based VMS that isn’t great. Uncheck that and just install SmartPSS .

As far as mobile app, it’s DMSS.
Each update seems to create a new bug but for plain old viewing/playback it works fine. Once you get into remote alerts it can be a challenge and may or may not require subscribing to and enabling Dahua’s P2P. (Free but buggy)