Dahua NVR remote assistance.

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Firmware is 2017-06-12
Version 3.203.0000.0.R

I have a feeling I need to go out and buy a new NVR.

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you tried plugging in just one of the non working cameras? All other cameras removed? Make sure you use a cable that an existing working camera is on.

Do you get the POE NIC icon in the top left of the camera channel?

I work with these recorders every day for the last 8 years so very experienced with this model.

You could try going into System under settings, default, and just select camera to default. This should cause all cams to drop out and then the process of auto adding begins again.

We should see that poe nic icon appear on all channels after 2 minutes. If not, i would suspect its a cable issue unless the cam is completely screwed on the POE side which is unlikely as you have 2 doing the same thing

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I could probably give you some remote support on monday, evening time GMT. Dont worry about payment or anything like that
I am working afternoons next week so it wouldn’t work but no way I would take you up on that if you didn’t let me sent you some $.

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a lot going on with life and work so I am chipping away at this when time allows.
My next step will be to take the 2 non working cameras down. I will hook them up alone like you guys suggest with a 4’ pre made and tested cable. Then report back. As I said, I do test my cables. Always.
I do find that the RJ45 never seems to positively lock into the dahua cameras. I always tape them.

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Odd, here's one of my 4208-8P older NVRs, running a 4MP PTZ, two 4MP 5442's and a 2MP 5241 , all using 8192 or higher bitrate, all running 30FPS. Now its a bit choppy over my connection, but the NVR isnt puking...

View attachment 135610
So you proved that my hardware should play nice. At my last house I had 11 cameras on that NVR. I often switched or upgraded cameras. They were always plug and play. I’ve never had issues like this. Frustrated and thank you.

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Odd, here's one of my 4208-8P older NVRs, running a 4MP PTZ, two 4MP 5442's and a 2MP 5241 , all using 8192 or higher bitrate, all running 30FPS. Now its a bit choppy over my connection, but the NVR isnt puking...

View attachment 135610
Those values in the table are the local monitor decoding capabilities, browser viewing is different. Should never be an issue viewing on web with your settings. Unless your network is 10Mb

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would always say as a rule of thumb, 1000kbps per megapixel on H264. If you set yours your 4096 instead of 8192, you should not see any difference in quality on your 4MP's. You are just wasting unnecessary storage space. Have you tried that to see if the choppiness subsides?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No but will try. I don’t usually use the NVR or web interface for normal live view or playback, usually SmartPSS. No doubt streaming would improve.

I do see a difference particularly night between 4096 and 8192. HDD space is cheap so I don’t mind.

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No but will try. I don’t usually use the NVR or web interface for normal live view or playback, usually SmartPSS. No doubt streaming would improve.

I do see a difference particularly night between 4096 and 8192. HDD space is cheap so I don’t mind.
100℅ on night image. Compression can be more noticeable on web due to transcoding of image from cam to nvr to web.

I like the rawness of a local monitor image and prefer web for config. PSS is ok. The fact its free is the best part, but i doubt it will ever get a newer update than its current state other than Lite version.

Have you tried DSS Express?

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am working afternoons next week so it wouldn’t work but no way I would take you up on that if you didn’t let me sent you some $.
No way man. Im more than happy to help out and provide some guidance. We should figure this out quickly if im logged in. All i would ask if you have the following set up and ready to go.

-Pc/laptop with wifi connected to net,

ethernet cable connected so we can interchange connectivity between poe switch and lan port.

Config tool on laptop.

Problem cams sitting beside you local at NVR

Some spare parch leads

12v 1amp psu if possible, just in case cam poe circuit is screwed.

Maybe couple of previous copies of firmware versions for your cams. I wouldnt be able to help here if they are from andy. His models take specific versions i cannot identify.

Ive handled 100s of this model NVR since 2014, (no joke) so i know them inside out.

Its unlikely we need to write it off for a new one.

Let me know if another evening suits next week

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
100℅ on night image. Compression can be more noticeable on web due to transcoding of image from cam to nvr to web.

I like the rawness of a local monitor image and prefer web for config. PSS is ok. The fact its free is the best part, but i doubt it will ever get a newer update than its current state other than Lite version.

Have you tried DSS Express?
I have not tried DSS Express... is it costly or free? I'll try it

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Crisis Averted. I took the 2 problem cams down to hook up via short cord. Just thought I would try them again. Man, like I said in an earlier post these rj45 connections are extremely unreliable and not very secure. Combine that with the new camera boxes I just got which are smaller and very tight, there was bad connections. Yes I tried them multiple times. I had to stuff wires in the boxes like a surgeon while watching my phone to make sure they didn’t disconnect and they did a couple times.

Attachments

batcave

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
is there an easy way to switch the upper left and upper right? I know changing ports won’t do anything.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with the RJ on a Dahua camera and a have more than a few personally. If they're not locking tightly, simply lift up gently on the lock tab of the male connector prior to inserting it into the female on the camera. I also hope you used some dielectric grease, self amalgamating tape and electrical tape on that connection.