Dahua nvr stopped recording and displaying camera survilance video(event video loss)

mcalex

n3wb
Reaction score
It happened all of a sudden at 5a.m in my shop 2 days ago. I was outside and no one was doing anything to the video recorder or cameras,so it happened all by itself.
Since then Instead of video stream ,I only see dahua black logo on all 4 squares where video stream should appear.
Video footage that is previously recorded could be acessible by video recorder and watched but all new footage was only black screen.
In events and logg I see logg " video loss" event at 2.am and then again when it stopped workong at 5 a.m "video loss",also some logs "S.M.A.R.T INFO".

I tested health and performance of hard drive from dahua nvr and it was worming ok,altough it is 6 years old.I formated disk and tried agaon,but it was all the same.Now I will try with another hard disk.
However I think that it is not the problem.

Here are screenshots of logs and hardware:

Attachments

mcalex

n3wb
Reaction score
Seems like the power supply for the analogue cameras, has most likely failed.
How can I replace it?
I should probbably know the model of the cameras,but I am not sure how can I fpund out that because company was installing survilance long time ago.

mcalex

n3wb
Reaction score
When all analog cams go offline at the same time, first guess will be power supply particularly if they’re using a common supply
It does make sense now I guess.Or it can be something related to dvr

mcalex

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes but your DVR was running and wasnt showing any error
I got new probblem!The new power supply that I bought died after several hours and I got the same problem.I dont know what is causing power suplly of camera to malfuction.It has never happened before.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Weird. When I was running analog cams, (and still have one or two I toy with on a Dahua XVR,) I always used separate wall warts for each camera and had far less power issues like ground loops and interference.

I’m no electrician, but I’d try one camera at a time on the power supply, maybe one is drawing too much power or shorting something

mcalex

n3wb
Reaction score
Weird. When I was running analog cams, (and still have one or two I toy with on a Dahua XVR,) I always used separate wall warts for each camera and had far less power issues like ground loops and interference.

I’m no electrician, but I’d try one camera at a time on the power supply, maybe one is drawing too much power or shorting something
As far as I have seen all 4 cameras are connected to the same power port.
It has worked for like 4 hours and before dying of power supply interference like strip lines started to appear on the screen.
I want to note that I have found dahua dvr unusually hot after connecting power supply to cameras just minute after recording.
It seems like there is short circut somewhere.

mcalex

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep sounds like it
Cctv power adapter supplies power to all 4 cameras via single cord.
CCTV power supply adapter is plugged inside extension cord with three plugs sharing electriciry with monitor power suplly and dvr power supply.
That extension cord is plugged into another extension cord which have something else conncected to it and then that second extension cord is connected to the real power outlet.
2 days ago plumbers arrived into our shop and they plugged in their device inside the second extension cord.
It could be that that device caused overload on second extension cord which transfer two first and went trough CCTV power supply straight to cameras cables.
It may be that overload caused insulation between power cables for each camera to burn and electricity transfered from one camera to another creating short circut and causing CCTV power supply to die each time.
I am no electeiction ,it may not function that way at all,these are just conclusions I got to torugh logic and my basic knowladge of current.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind you also need to get a power supply that provides at least the V and A that the cameras need.

It may work with an underpowered for awhile, but it will get hot and die.

For example, if the one that came with the system was 24VDC and 2A and you provided 12V and 1.5A, it will work for awhile but it will burn up.

mcalex

n3wb
Reaction score
Keep in mind you also need to get a power supply that provides at least the V and A that the cameras need.

It may work with an underpowered for awhile, but it will get hot and die.

For example, if the one that came with the system was 24VDC and 2A and you provided 12V and 1.5A, it will work for awhile but it will burn up.
I get it.However the one we had worked for 6 years without problems and power supply died two days after plumbers.It may have nothing to do with it,I am just considering possibilites.
The new one that we got was from licenced cctv repair service and we provided them the original one so they could give us correct power supply ,so power would be matched.