Dahua NVR updating question...

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 4 cameras connected to my 16 channel NVR, I have smart line detection setup on a couple of them.
If I upgrade the FW on the NVR, would my drawn lines be removed and I would have to re-draw them? Or are they embedded on the camera themselves?

I'm curious so I'll know what I'm facing if I update or do a factory reset.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I doubt anyone would know for a fact here, but I'll take a guess that updating the firmware will not delete your smart lines. Updating the firmware shouldn't delete any programming
of anything. Only, and more than likely not, if they removed smart line detection in the updated firmware. And if for any reason, the smart lines were deleted, it would't take that
long to reprogram four cameras.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know it sounded lazy or whatever, I was just curious because the way the lines are drawn are quite specific and I like where they are, I would prefer not to redraw them if possible. :)

I wasn't sure if updating the firmware on an NVR would be considered a factory reset or if it would do a reset after the update. I'm sure if you've seen many of my posts, I ask alot of probably useless questions, but I'm curious and like to know things, good thing I'm not a cat ;)
Thanks

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What is your current build date on your firmware? And where are you getting your updated firmware?

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think it is a Dahua NVR 4216
I found the FW on a couple of different websites and FTP... Finally
General_NVR4xxx_Eng_PN_V3.200.0000.9.R.20150529.bin

• Type
  • NVR

• Record Channel:

• SN:
  • XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

• Web:

• System Version:
  • 3.200.0000.6.R

• Build Date:
  • 11-27-2014

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe that the smart line detection is part of the Camera Firmware and settings are passed through to the NVR where they can be adjusted. I have a 4216 with the 3.200.0000.9.R firmware already installed and I don't see smart line detection anywhere in the settings panel. (Unless I'm just missing it.) So in theory, upgrading the NVR firmware would have no effect as those settings don't actually live in the NVR. :)

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've edited smart lines and drawing them thru the NVR under EVENT > IVS > Draw or something like that.

I wasn't sure, I just imagined a FW update would do a factory reset automatically or something. I would export my settings just incase so I could import them back, but it's probably best to do a factory reset and just tweak all the settings again. I have got to sort out my NVR problem, it seems to be getting worse. I don't have time or want to babysit it any further, it's getting way old. I've already missed a couple incidents because of the dropping out. I'm almost tempted to go with Blue Iris, I just don't have the money right now, but I do have a powerful desktop that I use for PLEX streaming.

I believe that the smart line detection is part of the Camera Firmware and settings are passed through to the NVR where they can be adjusted. I have a 4216 with the 3.200.0000.9.R firmware already installed and I don't see smart line detection anywhere in the settings panel. (Unless I'm just missing it.) So in theory, upgrading the NVR firmware would have no effect as those settings don't actually live in the NVR. :)

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its pulling settings from teh cameras as I only have Video Detect, Alarm and Abnormality in the Event menu. :) What cameras are you running with the smart lines and can you do smart lines for ALL of your cameras, regardless of model? My cams are all 4300 series 3MP Units.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't know the 4300 camera had smart lines, only motion. I just received a 3MP IPC-HDW4300c camera (which has a built in MIC) and I didn't see smart lines in the camera interface through the web browser at all. To answer your question about if I can do smart lines through the NVR on cameras regardless of the model.... I have a cheap $35 2MP camera that has motion detect only supported through the Dahua NVR by ONVIF only. Now in the Dahua NVR menu it lists the motion detect tab and the IVS tab (for smart lines) but when you select the $35 camera for smart lines setup, it pops up and says not supported. I can adjust the motion detection on that cheap camera through the NVR, (but I am not 100% clear if it is making changes on the camera itself or not. (I've learned do not buy cheap cameras because the lack of settings and quality aren't worth the savings for what you can get in the Dahua camera. It was a test purchase so I know to stick with what I know. :)

I will take some pictures of my NVR's menus which is on Firmware: (You can tell me if your newer firmware has the same layout, I'm curious if once I update if I'll lose the ability to draw smart lines through the NVR or not, or what other functions may be removed or added in the newer firmware)
  • Web:

• System Version:
  • 3.200.0000.6.R

• System Version:

• Build Date:
  • 11-27-2014

I have Dahua 4216 16channel NVR
I have:

(1) 4MP IPC-HDBW4421R-ASSoftware Version 2.400.0000.6.R, build : 2015-04-09
WEB Version 3.2.1.263049
ONVIF Version 2.4.1

(3) 4MP IPC-HDW4421CSoftware Version 2.400.0000.6.R, build : 2015-04-09
WEB Version 3.2.1.263049
ONVIF Version 2.4.1

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is a link to the NVR that I have, the image is the same as mine (no buttons on the front of the NVR) Most of the NVR4216 that I find when searching look much different on the front of the unit, lots of buttons. I'm guessing mine is a newer revision or something, there are like 3 listings with images of mine with no buttons, versus many listings of the one with buttons. I haven't looked in a few months, but last time I did look on the DAHUA website, I couldn't find a NVR4216 listed on their site that looked like mine without the buttons on the front.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dahua-NVR-NVR4204-08-16-32-Network-Video-Recorder-NVR4204-NVR4208-NVR4216-NVR4232/32378947160.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_6,searchweb201644_4_79_78_77_82_80_62_81,searchweb201560_8

I'll take pictures of my NVR's menus in a bit and post them.

How long have you had your NVR4216? I just got mine in Sept and it has the older FIRMWARE, which I listed above.
What firmware is on your 4300 cameras? I'll find out what mine has which I just got this month.

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's odd. My 4216 has the buttons on the front. :) I got mine from a US dealer via ebay in the middle of october, so not sure if that makes a difference. :) I have the 3.200.0000.9.R firmware with a date of 5-29-2015.

My Cameras I believe are all Chinese cams with English firmware via ebay, so they have version 2.420.0004.0.R, build : 2014-11-03. They work fine, so I haven't' tried to update the firmware on them. :) Maybe that's the difference. Possibly later firmware has the smart lines. Regular motion detection has worked fine for me so I haven't been worried about it.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I may have misread in your earlier posts, are you saying your 4300 cameras do have smart lines or no?
Here is the info from my 4300c camera with built in MIC, no smart lines. Supposed to be actual ENGLISH firmware.

Device Type IPC-HDW4300C
Software Version 2.420.0004.0.R, build : 2014-11-03
WEB Version 3.2.1.229556
ONVIF Version 2.4.1
PTZ Version
Camera Version
S/N XXXXXXXXXX

I'll share pics of my NVR menus later

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, I f'd up....
I upgraded the FW with the latest, and then on the menus it has garbled text, and I can't login via the web browser... I can login through the NVR itself. I even made a new username on the NVR to try and login through the web browser, but with the correct info it says login failed, but with the wrong password it says password invalid. I can't view previous recordings on the hard drive, it's showing nothing. BUT, when I go to replay the video from the last 20 minutes on the preview window on the split screen it shows the video.

I'm downgrading to the FW right before the latest and seeing if it'll fix my text and hard drive issue. I have ALOT of video I need saved from this hard drive, I will be f'd if I lose it.

EDIT: the downgrade didn't fix any of the issues, I'm really f'd

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is an image of the menus, all of them have this kind of text added, I've tried different firmwares downloaded from different sites, just incase one of them from a site was messed with or something.
The only way I can login to the NVR is through the config tool.

Attachments

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My 4300's do NOT have smart lines.

Mine are reporting the same firmware as yours. And I have no idea if there is anything newer. I haven't really put much effort into it as they are working fine. :)

Device Type IPC-HDW4300C
WEB Version 3.2.1.229556
ONVIF Version 2.4.1

I may have misread in your earlier posts, are you saying your 4300 cameras do have smart lines or no?
Here is the info from my 4300c camera with built in MIC, no smart lines. Supposed to be actual ENGLISH firmware.

Device Type IPC-HDW4300C
WEB Version 3.2.1.229556
ONVIF Version 2.4.1
PTZ Version
Camera Version
S/N XXXXXXXXXX

I'll share pics of my NVR menus later

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, in all my threads :)
I guess it doesn't matter anymore lol, I'm trying to setup Blue Iris and get it customized on the demo. I am missing the NVR bad though!
I liked being able to grab the mouse at the TV and click through and review things quickly. I've gotta learn this new system, find it's problems, setup the motion detection, get the motion detection tuned, make sure nothing fails, etc etc etc etc etc

A whole new process, all over again. At least I have an octa-core PC so it's quite fast

marid2apterbilt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I believe Smart lines is in the 4mp 44xx series cameras. Not available on the 43xx(c/s) series cams.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, it's been going on for a long time, long time! It's no longer a bother, but it's more evidence each day for our lawsuit. It's an open and shut case, yet no lawsuit is open and shut. But it's clear what the harassment is and that it's unwarranted actions from the person. They have a problem, and that problem isn't just my presence lol

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It appears in the last 2 revisions of the firmware that they smart lines setup on the NVR has been removed.

On my older 6R firmware it was under EVENT>IVS>ALERT or something, now that TAB is removed.