Dahua NVR with Hikvision cameras cause cameras to drop off

Carcus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a random issue with a couple of Dahua NVRs. (Series 4 4108/4208)

First off ill state that I have this same configuration (not exactly the same) at many sites with no issues.

Previously we use to install Hikvision and have recently moved to Dahua due to now liking the products more than Hikvision for a few reasons.

We have started to upgrade clients equipment so for example we would put in a new Dahua NVR and a couple of the new cameras then integrate the old Hikvision cameras with ONVIF that the client didn't want to swap out.

At first I had a few issues with cameras dropping off at random times and it didn't matter if they were the new or old cameras, only a reboot would fix the issue. (Quite strange indeed.)

So I found that if I factory reset the Hikvision cameras and then enabled DHCP so they would auto populate and be assigned to the correct ports they were plugged in it seemed to fix the issue. (Again random but seemed to work.)

Using this method we have done many systems now with no issue, however I still have a couple of system that keep dropping out and am at a bit off a loss as to what to do next.

The logs don't give me any information and I'm basically just changing stream settings hoping to find a combination that is stable.

It would be great if I could get more data from the NVR somehow or if anyone else has had this issue and solved it?

My guess at this stage is that one of the older cameras has an issue and broadcasts to many packets and temporarily overloads the switch but I can't get any data from the NVR itself to tell me anything of value.

Next step is to replace all the cameras or move to a PoE switch instead but I'd rather figure out the root cause of the issue.

Any information or tips welcome. Thanks