Dahua NVR won't see Dahua IP cam?

c.grex

n3wb
Reaction score
I've got myself a HDW4300C http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdw4300c-620.html

And my NVR is http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/nvr420842164232-8p-640.html

I set the NVR up with a HFW4300C camera and it seemed to be just plug and play. The nvr assigned it a ip of 10.1.1.128 and off I went, no issues.

the HDW4300 works fine when I just run it via my home network (plugged into my router) and can accessed via the standard Dahua ip of 192.168.1.108 using I.E. And it works fine.

when it is plugged into the NVR it just never shows up!

I'm new to this so any advice would be greatfully received! Is it a NVR issue or Camera issue?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you need to configure your camera for DHCP then try again.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you accessed the camera via IE as 192.168.1.108, did you click on static IP like Nayr said? If you did, than you changed the IP of the camera to an IP that the NVR is not looking for. Like you said, the NVR assigned it 10.1.1.128, so that means the NVR scheme is 10.1.1.X. So what you need to do is open the camera in IE, go to network settings and on the IP page, click dhcp. Than plug it into the NVR and it will assign it another IP.

c.grex

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did try changing to DHCP and it still wouldn't have it.

I'll have another go this morning. Does it defiantly need to be on dhcp? The default of the camera was static. Does anybody know the official reset method for the camera? The button is under the lens cover, do I need to keep it pressed while powering on or keep it pressed for so long?

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Which NVR did you get, one with POE in it? If the nvr has it's own POE, the camera should be in dhcp so the nvr can address the camera for it's own subnet when you plug it back into the nvr. If you're just trying to import the camera into the nvr via a separate POE switch and it won't take, as a last resort you can give the camera a static IP address that worked with the NVR originally. Make sure you have the config tool handy which will allow you to make changes to the IP address. Also, how is that camera? I've been super interested in that one and will probably get a couple 3mp versions.

c.grex

n3wb
Reaction score
Which NVR did you get, one with POE in it? If the nvr has it's own POE, the camera should be in dhcp so the nvr can address the camera for it's own subnet when you plug it back into the nvr. If you're just trying to import the camera into the nvr via a separate POE switch and it won't take, as a last resort you can give the camera a static IP address that worked with the NVR originally. Make sure you have the config tool handy which will allow you to make changes to the IP address. Also, how is that camera? I've been super interested in that one and will probably get a couple 3mp versions.
yep the NVR is one of the newer 4208-8p ones with 8 PoE. I'm sure I left it in DHCP, and still wouldn't show, yet again it would be assigned a ip from my router no issue when I plugged it in that way. With my bullet 4300 it seemed to be almost plug and play and I've had no issues. I'll have another mess today.

camera seems ok so far, hard to tell as I've had it set up indoors while testing and not really looking at anything. The one thing I'm happy with is there seems to be enough room under the mount to hide the cables and connection and I couldn't tell on the pics before ordering. This is one of the 3mp ones.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I have that same nvr, but I don't have it in line yet. Initial testing it was doing great. Somehow I suspect your camera got set to static. Like I mentioned, you could set it static to that address the nvr gave it initially and see. Where did you purchase the camera? How's the audio?

c.grex

n3wb
Reaction score
I have that same nvr, but I don't have it in line yet. Initial testing it was doing great. Somehow I suspect your camera got set to static. Like I mentioned, you could set it static to that address the nvr gave it initially and see. Where did you purchase the camera? How's the audio?
Camera has come via aliexpress. Not tested the Audio yet. We are limited in the UK and the cheapest the nvr is over here is around $700 and the camera is about $300! So China is the cheapest route, although I have no support.

just looked at camera again. If you do a factory reset (using button under lens cover) it will default to static ip. I have changed to DHCP and saved. My router then gives it a I.P. Within it's range straight away. I then test it in the NVR and it still won't show. I gave it a static ip of 10.1.1.108 and again still won't show (although I'm guessing I'd need to change the default gateway etc.)

I've never had it working on the nvr, just my other camera working at the moment.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you going in remote config in the NVR and having it search for the camera? Or are you just watching the screen to see if it shows up?

c.grex

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you going in remote config in the NVR and having it search for the camera? Or are you just watching the screen to see if it shows up?

no I'm in the config. I'm just wondering if it could be a POE issue? I'm using a separate power supply on my router when using it that way.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you say your in config, are you trying to view the camera in config? Do you see anything that says remote device? How many cameras do you have and how many IP's do you see in remote device?

c.grex

n3wb
Reaction score
When you say your in config, are you trying to view the camera in config? Do you see anything that says remote device? How many cameras do you have and how many IP's do you see in remote device?
I'm on this screen (pic taken from the manual) I can see my first camera listed in the top box and of course it is also in the bottom box. No matter what I have done I've have never seen the new camera in the top box. The only time I can find it is when it is plugged into my router and that way it either has a 192.168.1.xx address issued via DHCP , or a I.P. Set by me.

image.jpg

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you tried plugging the camera into the nvr in other ports? Tried plugging it into the nvr and using the power adapter? Maybe the poe is shot on the camera.

vector18

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you take a pic of that screenshot on your NVR? Also, have you tried yet setting the camera to a static IP address to match the IP scheme of your NVR?

c.grex

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you take a pic of that screenshot on your NVR? Also, have you tried yet setting the camera to a static IP address to match the IP scheme of your NVR?
Thanks for all the help guys!

ive done most the stuff your suggesting, so can't be that stupid!

i have tried the camera in different ports and then tried the camera with a external 12v also. I think the camera is getting power from the port because if I cover the lens I get the click sound and the ir led comes on.

as for the static ip, what other settings do I need? I can set the ip to 10.1.1.128, but do I need other settings too?

c.grex

n3wb
Reaction score
:):shame::)

I feel like I've wasted all your time, but I am really sorry but have found the problem! Thank you again for helping, and taking time to post.

With me just getting set up I have just run pre made cat5 cables up to the nvr and then nvr to camera one. I then have bought crimper, plugs and cable for future cameras etc.

the cable I have bought is solid copper and looks good stuff, I've made a couple of cables up. 1 for the run from nvr to camera 2 and another short cable for testing stuff. I tested both cables with a cat5 tester and each channel tested fine. But for some reason it seems this cable will not run a camera!? I'm going to have buy a reel of stranded stuff.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
If in the nvr it tells you the default gateway for the poe subnet, you want to make sure that's put into the camera as well. Ideally those fields should fill in automatically if you have the camera in dhcp mode. But if you're filling in everything manually, it would be the original address the nvr poe handed out to the camera, the typical subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and the default gateway of the nvr's poe. If all else fails, you can reset the camera but that will probably default it back to a static ip, which you'll have to change again to dhcp and then put it on the nvr so it sets it to the nvr poe subnet. If you can't get this to work at all, I would begin to suspect a problem with the camera, which could mean a replacement or it could spell the need for a firmware fix. These are new cameras and it could be possible there's a bug that makes them unusable with an nvr. Who knows.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh jeez it's a cable issue! Well that actually eases my mind because I've been really interested in this camera and your problem was not giving me a good feeling about it.

c.grex

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh jeez it's a cable issue! Well that actually eases my mind because I've been really interested in this camera and your problem was not giving me a good feeling about it.

I just cant understand why what the issue is with the cable! It's solid copper and from what I have seen this should be better. But the thing that is really confusing me is the fact that both cables don't work with the camera and yet they both test fine with cat5e tester!?

i need to get some stranded vocable ASAP because I've only got a 3 ft pre made one!