Dahua NVR4108 Recording Settings

Noki

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a NVR 4108 HS-P-4KS with 4TB WD Purple HDD and 5 cameras attached. There are set for continuous recording as well as motion sensor and trip-line activity. When it was set up, the format was H.264 at a frame rate of 20. The HDD is now full but appears to correctly over-write old data and I manage to get about 13-14 days of recording.

Reading the forum, I discovered I could set the format to H.265 and was expecting to get increased amount of recording days. However, I. still only appear to get 13-14 days even on H.265. I have reboot/restart the NVR after changing the settings. I tried to look for a setting that might limit the number of recording days but there does appear to be.

Any suggests why I don't seem to get more recording days with H.265? Would reducing the frame rate to 15 make much of a difference.

Thanks

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a NVR 4108 HS-P-4KS with 4TB WD Purple HDD and 5 cameras attached. There are set for continuous recording as well as motion sensor and trip-line activity. When it was set up, the format was H.264 at a frame rate of 20. The HDD is now full but appears to correctly over-write old data and I manage to get about 13-14 days of recording.

Reading the forum, I discovered I could set the format to H.265 and was expecting to get increased amount of recording days. However, I. still only appear to get 13-14 days even on H.265. I have reboot/restart the NVR after changing the settings. I tried to look for a setting that might limit the number of recording days but there does appear to be.

Any suggests why I don't seem to get more recording days with H.265? Would reducing the frame rate to 15 make much of a difference.

Thanks
Reducing quality (frame rate and resolution, etc) will make the recordings small and allow for more days of recording.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Noki

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe check that the changes have actually been made in the cameras?
Thanks. How do I check that the changes have been made in camera. I can access the NVR either directly via a monitor and mouse connected to the NVR. I also can use SmartPSS. When I go into the Settings and Camera Encode, it is H265 for both main stream and sub stream. I don't know how to access the cameras directly.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the IP addressing used by the PoE Dahua NVRs, so can't offer much direct advice. Hopefully someone has a reference they can point you to.

What model cams do you have?

Cheers, Steve

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think it is DAHUA IPC-HDW4631C-A
These are Chinese market cameras. There may be an inconsistency with the exchange of settings from the NVR to the camera. I think the Cliff Notes document may assist with information about accessing the camera interface directly, however you may need a power supply for the camera as I understand that it must be unplugged from the NVR.

Unfortunately I can't help with specifics. I'm quite new to all this myself.

Cheers, Steve

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. How do I check that the changes have been made in camera. I can access the NVR either directly via a monitor and mouse connected to the NVR. I also can use SmartPSS. When I go into the Settings and Camera Encode, it is H265 for both main stream and sub stream. I don't know how to access the cameras directly.
Can you not access the cameras internal web server from a browser on your PC or Mac?

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Go to post #950 in that link.

Noki

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all for your help.

I have followed the above post #950 and logged into all my cameras directly. They are all showing H265 so the NVR settings have been correctly transferred to the cameras. Not sure why still only have 13 days recording which is the same as when I was using H264.

I might try a Fram-rate of 15 and see what happens.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks all for your help.

I have followed the above post #950 and logged into all my cameras directly. They are all showing H265 so the NVR settings have been correctly transferred to the cameras. Not sure why still only have 13 days recording which is the same as when I was using H264.

I might try a Fram-rate of 15 and see what happens.
Try reducing the resolution, quality and frame rate on your sub stream to see if it helps before you reduce the quality on stream 1. Another trick is to record on motion only for cameras that are less critical.

Noki

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update. Have reduced the frame rate to 15 with H265 and the amount of recording days seems to be fixed at 13 days. I have check the HDD and it is set to never delete (unless HDD gets full and the HDD shows 0 free space).

I was expecting some increase in recording days with those changes but to be still stuck at 13 days seems a bit unusual.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just an update. Have reduced the frame rate to 15 with H265 and the amount of recording days seems to be fixed at 13 days. I have check the HDD and it is set to never delete (unless HDD gets full and the HDD shows 0 free space).

I was expecting some increase in recording days with those changes but to be still stuck at 13 days seems a bit unusual.
For me to get the most days at decent quality on stream 2, I have my cameras set like this:
Resolution - VGA (640*480) or if you need better D1 (704*480)
Frame rate - 10
But rate type - CBR
Bitrate - 512

Stream 2 is the one that is sent to devices like my phone. Stream 1 is higher quality:
1080 (1920*1089)
FR 20
CBR
Bitrate 4096

Try reducing stream 2 before reducing stream 1.