Dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2 IP pass-through?

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of trouble clearly understanding some of the stuff in the manual for my Dahua NVR5208-8P-4KS2 NVR, and am hoping that someone here will know the answer from experience.

I'd like to know if it's possible to have the NVR make the individual cameras visible on the LAN. Out of the box, it creates its own subnet and allocates IPs on that subnet, which isn't visible from computers on the LAN. Can those be passed-through somehow under alternate IPs or ports? Or can the NVR act like a switch that places them on the same network as the rest of my LAN?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Kevin

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, based on older posts I'm finding, I'm guessing there's no way to do exactly what I want. Sounds like the next best approach would be to bridge one of the NVR camera ports to a laptop or separate VLAN configured on the router. Too bad, as this seems like an obvious thing the NVR should provide an easy solution for.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Kevin,
Not an expert and not 100% sure I understand what you're looking to do, but I have the Lite version 4208-8P-4KS2 and I'm able to see the cameras using SmartPSS and/or the smartphone app iDMSS while on my LAN.

For simple viewing, (and basic config tools) using both SmartPSS and iDMSS you simply point to the IP of the NVR and all attached cams on the built-in POE switch become visible.

For accessing the camera menus directly, in the NVR WebGUI there is a link to each camera interface under "registration" which allows direct camera Web GUI

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
So, based on older posts I'm finding, I'm guessing there's no way to do exactly what I want. Sounds like the next best approach would be to bridge one of the NVR camera ports to a laptop or separate VLAN configured on the router. Too bad, as this seems like an obvious thing the NVR should provide an easy solution for.
You will not get the main streams of your cams sitting behind the NVR with dahua at this point, and yes you can tap into a unused port on the back of the NVR and get direct streams that way, and have full access to your cams individually. On some of my setups I have two nic cards in my PC to do just that.

Kevin Michaels

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You will not get the main streams of your cams sitting behind the NVR with dahua at this point, and yes you can tap into a unused port on the back of the NVR and get direct streams that way, and have full access to your cams individually. On some of my setups I have two nic cards in my PC to do just that.
Thanks for the confirmation. Much appreciated!