Dahua NVR5216-16P-4KSE MD Problem

jaybowee

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have motion detection set and a pre-record time of 4 seconds but when I play back the video it's always right at the exact second it says the motion happened or its a second too late... I have tried to change the time on the pre-record in the schedule but it doesn't help. Any ideas?

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Record 24/7, note the MD time of the issue and then go back and review the footage you recorded. Use IVS features over motion detection.

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Record 24/7, note the MD time of the issue and then go back and review the footage you recorded. Use IVS features over motion detection.
I wish that worked for me. I too have this NVR. I record 24/7 and also set up motion detect and IVS. The NVR only seems to capture the 24/7. On some cams, the sub stream captures the ivs, but not motion. It’s frustrating and the 300+ page manual is clearly written by someone where English is not their primary language. It’s extremely difificult to find events. I have those main streams set to manual record, and the sub streams set to auto.
Any ideas on that? Should the main stream be set to auto also? Does manual record disable all the ivs, motion etc. I want 24/7 and the ivs/ motion all on the main stream.

Attachments

jaybowee

n3wb
Reaction score
I wish that worked for me. I too have this NVR. I record 24/7 and also set up motion detect and IVS. The NVR only seems to capture the 24/7. On some cams, the sub stream captures the ivs, but not motion. It’s frustrating and the 300+ page manual is clearly written by someone where English is not their primary language. It’s extremely difificult to find events. I have those main streams set to manual record, and the sub streams set to auto.
Any ideas on that? Should the main stream be set to auto also? Does manual record disable all the ivs, motion etc. I want 24/7 and the ivs/ motion all on the main stream.
I record the main stream. I use the subs for remote viewing and don’t record those. The main stream records at the best resolution. IVS works sometimes and not others so I don’t really like it. I use the regular motion and tweak the sensitivity etc. I get a lot of false motion with fog and bugs but that’s the way it is.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

Main stream should be Auto, substream Manual., Snapshot Enable.

You dont have regular MD recording fwiw

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
And as soon as possible, get out of that machine interface and use the Web interface of the NVR. Open a browser, if on your home network, its probably 192.168.1.108

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well i cannot get to individual camera setup through the machine interface, but i can on the web interface- however, it seems "slower".

Why set the substream to manual? Just curious. I changed the main stream to auto and that seemed to work, so thank you. What is the sub stream, anyway? (Other than lower res)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Substream = Low Res. Used for mobile phne and other low bandwidth viewing. No need to record it.

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I should have asked long ago. I’ve got the main and sub stream both recording 24/7. Time to change the sub stream.
If I go into the individual camera interface, I can set stuff like IVS, but I can also set that stuff in the NVR interface. One has to take precedence over the other. Any idea?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Always make changes to IVS and camera image settings on the camera. It doesnt always do the right thing if you use the NVR, it can mess you up.

Basically, if it can be done on the camera, do it there.

jaybowee

n3wb
Reaction score
Always make changes to IVS and camera image settings on the camera. It doesnt always do the right thing if you use the NVR, it can mess you up.

Basically, if it can be done on the camera, do it there.
Not everyone can make changes to the camera directly via the browser as it requires plugins that no longer work. Some changes don’t require you to see the live camera as you make the change but you can look at the monitor as you make some changes. Unfortunately IVS is not one of those.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It may take some work or a different browser, but I haven’t found one I can’t get into.

WA3PNT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Under the Setup>Storage>Schedule menu (On the NVR Web Interface), you can set a "Pre-record" time between 0 and 30 seconds.
I have mine set to 15 seconds, and any time that there is a Motion Detection or IVS Event, my NVR starts recording 15 seconds before the event.

You must set the "Pre-record" time for each Camera.

RodeoGeorge

sshot-1.jpg

jaybowee

n3wb
Reaction score
Under the Setup>Storage>Schedule menu (On the NVR Web Interface), you can set a "Pre-record" time between 0 and 30 seconds.
I have mine set to 15 seconds, and any time that there is a Motion Detection or IVS Event, my NVR starts recording 15 seconds before the event.

RodeoGeorge

View attachment 51520
I’ve done all that. It doesn’t work if you are recording all the time and use MD. It only works if you record motion only. I wish it did because I like to look at motion from the day rather than manually searching through the general timeline for every event. Right now the time in the event for motion is a second after or right on the money for every event no matter the pre-record setting.

WA3PNT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I find no need to do continuous recording.
My MD and IVS Rules catch any events that I would be interested in, so I only use MD and IVS.

RodeoGeorge

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not everyone can make changes to the camera directly via the browser as it requires plugins that no longer work. Some changes don’t require you to see the live camera as you make the change but you can look at the monitor as you make some changes. Unfortunately IVS is not one of those.
Definitely play around with it. Try an older version of internet explorer, and old pc, a new pc, an old laptop etc. the best computer on my network for making changes to the cameras directly, it turns out, was an old dell with a 60gig hdd running xp. I installed windows 7 , 32 bit from an old oem disc I had in my house, never activated it, and installed nothing but internet explorer and Firefox. It runs like molasses, but I was able to install plug ins for all the cameras, and it works fine. My new MacBook Pro- doesn’t.

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I find no need to do continuous recording.
My MD and IVS Rules catch any events that I would be interested in, so I only use MD and IVS.

RodeoGeorge
I’m glad that works for you. I installed my office cctv system years ago when storage was very expensive. The system has a 500 gig hdd which was big for its time. I record only motion detect, and get maybe a week of recording before the events get recorded over. Unfortunately I’ve missed some critical things because the system started recording a few seconds later than I would have liked or did not record at all for some reason. Storage is so cheap now that I got a 5 terabyte hdd for my home setup and get about 14 days with 6 cams 24/7 at 2 mp. This way I know without a doubt I have everything recorded. Hassle to find an event? Maybe, but I no longer worry about a critical event being missed. It’s good peace of mind.

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

RodeoGeorge

View attachment 51520
What does “redundancy “ do? And the 1800? See? The manual is awful and doesn’t properly explain these things

jaybowee

n3wb
Reaction score
What does “redundancy “ do? And the 1800? See? The manual is awful and doesn’t properly explain these things
The way I understood was the 1800 is the seconds that the NVR will retrieve data from the cameras SD card if it were to miss it.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
This was taken from the Dahua Wiki:
Redundancy: System supports redundancy backup function. It allows you backup recorded file in two disks. You can highlight Redundancy button to activate this function. Please note, before enable this function, please set at least one HDD as redundant. (Main menu->Setting->Storage->HDD Manager). Please note this function is null if there is only one HDD.