Dahua NVR5216-4KS2 Password Puzzle

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I somehow screwed up my Admin password. I can get under the admin account with the unlock pattern. Plus I also have a backup admin account with a different name just in case.

So here is my question. When I try to change Admin keyboard password to a new password it will not let me because I screwed up the old password and can't get to work. Is there someway to change the keyboard password on the admin account? Can I delete the admin account and re-established an admin account using backup admin account? Am I busted screwed? :-(

I still have the dec 2019 firmware.

Thank you for any thoughts...

M

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I view the ultimate backup as the 888888 account on the direct connect keyboard and display. I've not needed to, but I assume from there you could delete and re-establish any other admin accounts.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I view the ultimate backup as the 888888 account on the direct connect keyboard and display. I've not needed to, but I assume from there you could delete and re-establish any other admin accounts.
Are you saying there’s a hidden local account/pw named “888888”? Confused.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
From one of the many versions of the manual:

System consists of four accounts:
 Username: admin. Password: admin. (administrator, local and network)
 Username: 888888. Password: 888888. (administrator, local only)
 Username: 666666. Password: 666666(Lower authority user who can only monitor,
playback, backup and etc.)
 Username: default. Password: default (hidden user). Hidden user “default” is for system
interior use only and can not be deleted. When there is no login user, hidden user “default”
automatically login. You can set some rights such as monitor for this user so that you can
view some channel view without login.

I didn't know about user "default" until just now, and it's not clear to me what it actually is. I always use 888888 when logging into the hardwired monitor. If you haven't messed with it (i.e. delete or change password), I'd think it should work for you.

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well none of those work. Not sure how you would enter those at the nvr since the username is a drop down list, not a manual input.

Good news is I was able to capture the admin password since I used it over the local network from my Mac. I had held the shift key down too long when establishing the password originally. Doh !!

Now I need to figure out whether I should update the firmware. Threads on new firmware are really scary...

M

Gadget -X

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes as I posted I did finally figure out I fat fingered it. I fixed the error and made a backup account.

I have not had any issues so I am still at System Version V4.000.0000001.5. 2019-12-18. Not sure what I am missing on newer versions. I have had issues updating versions before so very weary.

M

Dave88LX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's what I get for trying to multi-task...didn't read all the way over. Thanks, glad you got it squared away!