Dahua NVR5216 Playback issues - Won't play specific times

acd333

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I am attempting to download some footage from a camera using SmartPSS software. The software shows the footage is available (all green) but when I play it back (or try to record) the following happens:

I can play from 00:43:00 until approximately 00:48:00. After this point the footage jumps back 15 minutes to 00:32:00. This happens when I try to record, when playing back, and even when I try to select any time between 00:48:00 and approx 01:03:00 it will jump back about 15 minutes and start playing at that time instead.

Has anyone seen this issue before? SmartPSS software is up to date, firmware is version 4 on the NVR.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your issue sounds almost like the same thing I'm seeing with Lorex Cloud software, but it only happens with my Sunba P636 PTZ camera and not so much with the Lorex cameras. It jumps backwards as you say during playback mode when I try going to a specific timestamp. I can't download video clips recorded on the Lorex NVR from the Sunba P636, but I can do snapshots. Dahua used to own Lorex until recently from what I've read so SmartPSS and Lorex Cloud are the exact same software application but with different names and I've installed and ran SmartPSS as well. I've been chasing this problem for months, but everything is up to date so there's not much else I can do short of totally abandoning the Lorex NVR and going with PC based recording software, but I'm not to crazy about Blue Iris. My NVR is supporting eight PoE cameras so I would have to buy another PoE switch if the NVR goes away.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Your title says 5216 playback issues but you're using SmartPSS which is distinctly separate from the NVR

Have you tried the playback feature on the NVR itself?
Is your camera time/date exactly like that of the NVR?

(SmartPSS is not a cloud based application)

Last edited:

acd333

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, I switched to SmartPSS because I needed to log in remotely. We tried first on the phone app, then on the web app, all with the same results.

It seems to be all the cameras (8 of them) and all times of day where this issue is occurring.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you (SmartPSS) on a PC or Mac?

And is your NVR and cameras using built in PoE ports or are the cameras plugged into an external switch?

SOunds like the cameras are out of synch with the time on the NVR

acd333

n3wb
Reaction score
PC.

If I play it on my phone, I can't select the correct time stamp, but I can start it playing before the "buggy" time and it will play through.

Camera time must be out of sync with system time or something like that.

acd333

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you (SmartPSS) on a PC or Mac?

And is your NVR and cameras using built in PoE ports or are the cameras plugged into an external switch?

SOunds like the cameras are out of synch with the time on the NVR
Missed your second question, the PoE ports on this NVR never worked out of the box, so I am using a couple of external switches.

acd333

n3wb
Reaction score
If anyone else runs into this issue, I did manage to get the time I needed to record:
1 - If playing back on DMSS app, I could start the playback before the inaccessible time and it would continue to play.
2 - Once it reached the part I needed to record, I just hit the record button (looks like a video camera).
3 - Hit record button again to stop and video is saved to phone. Click "Me" on home screen of DMSS app and you will see "My Files".

I'll try updating the camera times next time I'm on site.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Missed your second question, the PoE ports on this NVR never worked out of the box, so I am using a couple of external switches.
I'm sure you probably already know this, but usually not all Ethernet ports on an NVR support PoE power. My NVR has 16 ports, but only 8 support PoE power because the NVR power supply can't support 16 fully loaded PoE ports. My Sunba PTZ camera is powered by a dedicated PoE injector power supply brick and two of my other cameras run through PoE ports on a separate network switch.

acd333

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I tried even running just one camera off of the NVR with no luck. Swapped the power supply as well. Only POE issue out of the 4 Dahua NVRs I have.