Dahua NVR5232-4KS2 - Naming problem with XMeye cameras)

jackdaw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I took a gamble and updated firmware on my NVR-5232-4KS2.
I am now running V4.002.0000000.6.R (2022-11-15)

Unfortunately, the problem that it will not name my non-Dahua cameras correctly still exists :( The cameras are called IPC and I cannot change it.

I tried the following:

• Changing the name using smartPSS
  • Changing the name on the NVR itself (conntected to a screen, with a mouse)
  • Changing the name using the webserver on my NVR
  • Changing the name on the camera itself with and without plugin
  • Changing the name on the camera itself with and without plugin on Internet Explorer and the plugin from the camera active
  • Restoring my NVR to the factory default and retry it all.

Any workarounds?
Maybe I can change them some other way using SSH or another "trick"?

(The seller of the NVR does not respond to my emails. Very disappointed with that. I expected more from them)

Have any of you also got this problem? Please let me know so we can keep in contact in case the problem will get solved in the (far) future.

I am open to suggestions.
Kind regards,
Demesmaeker

jackdaw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With the anger that fueled me, I got this finally solved! ;)
Because others also have this problem, I will write a guide on how I got it to work here later this weekend!

jackdaw

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh can't wait.
Perhaps a Xmas treat and give us a clue on your resolve?
Ok. I will write a quick guide now. I have lots of chinese cameras. They are those cameras that only work with internet explorer... Horrible GUI. If I go to update on the webserver of the camera, it says "cannot connect". Probably because the update server has changed name or so ;)

I never cared about updating, but now I felt that I must somehow try harder. Then I got tangled into a spiderweb of different naming methods, firmware versions etc... I updated and the problem was fixed! 3 done, 16 to go :p

My little guide will probably work with all recent chinese cameras that work with the XMEYE app (and there are a lot of those out there). If you dont know, check the guide. When you come to step 1, you will find out.

The guide:

1) Go to the local webpage of your chinese cam and look up the firmware version. Or use the device manager from Xiongmai:
Download device manager
If your firmware looks like this format "V2.02.R11.00014960.10010.1301", then you probably have the right camera to update
Only mind the part after the R11: 000014960

2) Go to this page --> Firmare download list and search for 14960 (or whatever you have). Dont mind all the rest of the text on the right of the number.
As long as your number is there and it starts with 0000 + the name, you are probably going to be happy :)
On the page all names end with .1, ignore that.

3) Download the zip, extract it, flash the bin using the website (I did not use the tool). The zip might contain lots of bin-files. I flashed the one that was called "GENERAL"
Also, when you click Upgrade, the window might disappear. Dont press refresh or stress..just wait..it is flashing.

If you dont have internet explorer any more,use Open Internet Explorer: Release v1.2 · AigioL/OpenInternetExplorer · GitHub
A nifty little tool to re-enable Internet Explorer in WIndows 10/11
Also, add the ipadress to the trusted websites in Internet Explorer (Settings, Internet Options, Security, Trusted sites, Add the ipaddress of the camera, and make sure there is no https-enforcement there.
Also, change the level of trusted site to the lowest. Refresh the page / reload the program and you should be able to update the firmware.
All at your own risk of course, but I did this now with three different cameras and it works!

4) Change the name on the website of the camera (it does not work on the dahua NVR). I was stupid to use a name like "Nestbox_4A" while Dahua probably does not accept a "_" or the name was too long, so it did not work at first.
Just write "TEST" or another very short word, until you know more about the naming standard that Dahua demands.
Also, make sure to activate "Channel Title"
1671911801835.png
5) Fiddle now with any kind of refresh on the NVR. Like, change the port number of the camera on the NVR of the Dahua. Save. Refresh. The camera wont work of course. Go in there again and then change the port back to the right port. A reboot or just waiting would probably solve it as well. I have no patience.

Refresh the camera names now with SmartPSS (if needed). It should change. If it doesnt, try a reboot of the NVR or the ipcam. Or both.
I can confirm you cannot change it with SmartPSS or on the NVR itself. It has to be on the webpage of the chinese camera. (Device CFG, Gui Display, Cam Name)

Update 2022-12-24:: instead of step 5, you could also WAIT :p A few minutes, and then, when I revisited my dahua IP / Smartpss, the name was correct.
Update 2022-12-25: No, it seems it did not work by just waiting for some camera´s. I had to do my trick where I change the port of the camera on the NVR. Save. Change the port back. Save again. In the background som renegotion will happen and after +- 20 seconds, I can refresh the names and it is correct! :)

I hope this helps any one!!! :) Please let me know in the comments.

I am going to flash all the others now. So happy to finally see NAMES in stead of IPC. I was so sick of this.

Last edited: