Dahua NVR5416-4KS2 Fans

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just got a new Dahua NVR5416-4KS2.

It's pretty loud. Are there options for installing quieter fans? It looks like there is 60mm x 15mm case fan that could be replaced with a quieter unit. Unfortunately, I cannot find a Noctua fan the same size and spec as this one.

I don't know other fan brands. Is there a good, reliable, and quiet fan that could be used in this NVR?

Are there other replaceable fans in the NVR?

Thanks.

Last edited:

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recall someone replacing the power supply fan with a different "quieter" model and I think that was in one of the Dahua NVR threads, so you can use your "Google Fu" to find the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. Not finding that thread.

I think I am going to use this on the case, deleting the 15mm fan mount cage to allow the thicker fan.

NF-A6x25 5V

Will open the psu and see what fan that is.

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The PSU, also 60x15, will not accommodate a 25mm thick fan, at least without significant modification. At least it is 12v, easier to find a quieter model than the 5v case fan.

Will try this one:
GELID Solutions | SILENT 6

Chapin

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I ended up with 2 of these. I couldn’t find the 5v Noctua at a decent price.

GELID Solutions | SILENT 6

The fans in free air are very quiet. I’m running both 12v. I think they push too much air. When fully assembled, the nvr is louder than I would like. I think it is mostly wind noise. Might try cutting the grates over the fans. Maybe disconnect the case fan altogether.

Will see if I can find the spec on the oem fans.

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"I think it is mostly wind noise. Might try cutting the grates over the fans."

My NVR4108 (non-POE) had a high-pitch whine that was not okay given its location. This noise disappeared completely when the case cover was removed, indicating that the sound came from air passing through the vents, not from the fan itself.

Each side panel of the cover has many small round holes and eleven louvered vents. I couldn't be certain if the whistling was caused by the input holes in front of the fan or by the sharp edges of the exit louvers.

Not seeing any proper way of of modifying the sheet metal, I decided to just add a 47 ohm resistor to the fan cable. I have no method to measure the air flow but subjectively I'd say this reduced the whine by roughly 50%. There has been no apparent increase in temperature.

I realize that the whole situation is different for NVRs with POE but this solution may still apply.

Last edited: