Dahua NVR5816-4sk2 FW update issues

Cypher619

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have the recorder listed above that was at a really old fw revision 3.210... I was able to locate the repository of FW files for this recorder here Index of /Firmware/Rejestratory/NVR/NVR5xxx-4KS2/Stare/. I was trying to upgrade to the newer 4.0x versions but was unable to and found out that I should gradually update the recorder. I downloaded everthing that was there. My first flash was to DH_NVR5XXX-4KS2_Internal_V3.216.0000000.0.R.20180530.bin via gui which was the latest 3.2x firmware and was successful. I am now unable to log into the recorder. It only has the admin account and the default password does not work. I have tried to TFTP a newer FW following these instructions Dahua IPC EASY unbricking / recovery over TFTP but I cannot get the NVR to connect to my TFTP server with the IP 192.168.254.254 while my laptop is directly connected to the NVR. I am however able to TFTP using these directions. FW using . Using any of the 4.0 fw I get bad magic packet errors. Here's the output.

dahua failed.png

I have tried to go back one FW to DH_NVR5XXX-4KS2_MultiLang_V3.215.0000001.0.R.20180326.bin. It appears to deploy properly but when the NVR comes back up it still looks like the v3.216 with the hosed password so I'm not confident the instructions that I am following are working properly.

any feedback or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Cypher619

n3wb
Reaction score
Update

So after futzing with ip settings and windows firewall on my Laptop, I am able to TFTP firmware files to my NVR using the ip address 192.168.254.254 and sending over files named ID_Serial_NO.txt. After the upload is completed, I see a bunch of ascii garbage display on the serial console and then the unit reboots. When it boots up, the update does not look like it took and it boots with the 3.216 FW that I can't log into.

When I use 7zip to open any fw bin I get and header error on the file install.lua

Last edited:

Cypher619

n3wb
Reaction score
Update.
I read through this article Dahua NVR Update Failed - Should I be worried about this error message? and followed its instructions. Now I am in a V4. bootloop and cannot recover. I get "Wrong Image Format for bootm command ERROR: can't get kernel image!"

If I let the system try to TFTP to download a FW file, it downloads but after download I just see ascii garbage flow from my console until the NVR reboots. I have downloaded
fw images from different locations thinking I had a bad file but only get the same result. When looking at my console logs, right after the download is completed, install.lua is called and then the garbage begins.

Tried downloading a FW file from a linux box and opening it and install.lua is also reporting extract errors.

Last edited:

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Reboot and stop boot using *, then type command eracfg and press return. This should clear the password for you as it is a factory default command

Cypher619

n3wb
Reaction score
I was able to unbrick my NVR today after going through so many archives with dahua firmware for the NVR5xxx-4ks2. TFTP auto update would not work for me no matter what fw image file I used. Luckily if found this amazing catalog of Dahua FW Index of /Dahua/kamerove_systemy/Firmware and in one of the versions of the FW for the NVR was an update.img file. From the serial console I was able to do "run up" and this baby deployed without a hitch.

I hope the link I provided helps someone who gets stuck with a bricked NVR like I did.