Dahua NVR608-64-4ks2 - H.265 Question

Didact74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looking for someone that has the above NVR or has knowledge of the above NVR. I am in the process of installing these two units and am confused about the "ENCODE SETTINGS" within the NVR. The manual is pretty generic and covers several models within one manual so I could not find my answer there. From what I understand all NVR608-(64or32) - 4ks2 NVR's are H.265 capable. However, when I enter the encode settings for this NVR it only has an H.264H option, no H.265. Is there something I am missing?

Firmware is current @ 3.210.0003.0

Thanks,
Jimmie

Attachments

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The nvr will only show what the camera supports. That cam must not have h265 capability.

Didact74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No, all cameras are H.265 capable.

Exterior cameras are model IPC-HFW5431E-Z
Interior cameras are model HDBW5631E-ZE

All cameras are set to H.265

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No idea then, maybe try reboot nvr or even factory reset.

geezer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just curious, why does the bitrate show Custom and 1kbps ?

Added thought: are the cameras registered as Private as opposed to Onvif?

Last edited:

Didact74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tried reboot already but no go. It is the same on both NVRs. One is an nvr608-32-4ks2 and the other is an nvr-608-64-4ks2.

All cameras are registered as Onvif.

Not sure about the "Custom" and "1kbps". I never really messed with this page on the NVR before, it just usually reflects the camera settings.

I called the place of purchase and they were also confused. They are trying to get a special firmware update to fix. Hope that is all it is.

BillG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the cameras are Dahua and the NVR is Dahua they should be registered as Private I would think. Only the one Hik I have is Onvif. All my Dahua cams are Private.

Reaction score
From what I have read, only ONVIF support for H.265 implementation will be available in 2.6.1 Unless you are running ONVIF 2.6.1 will you be able to use H.265 Even then, it's not completely clear how this works. The real problem is if the cameras are Dahua and the NVR is too, you should have the cameras set up as "Private".

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I checked one of Mine, Its a 24 Channel, My firmware ver is 3.215.0000000.1 9-1-2017 It is a North American region NVR , All my Cams are private and Smart Codec is disabled, Try do disable smart Codec and see what happens if you can find that option.
codec.JPG

Didact74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Awesome! I was under the impression everything had to be Onvif. When I changed the camera type to Private, I get the H.265 option.

Thanks a million everyone!

@c hris527
Smart Codec is off. It caused severe lag when on because this NVR does not support H.265+.

Didact74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One other thing I noticed. When setting up the cameras its default TCP port is 37777 for each camera both in the camera settings as well as the NVR settings. When I try to connect it "usually" fails and I have to use port 80 to connect. This is when registering a camera in the NVR. Should I be using port 80 or 37777 to register?

Do ports need to be open if you're inside the network? Does port #37777 need to be open on the network router? I wouldn't think so but just asking....

Last edited:

Zor

n3wb
Reaction score
I have had an nvr608-64 for a few days. Not everything I had hoped, but a keeper, but one bug I'd like to get to the bottom of..... (firmware is July 2016, seems kindof old)
I have 2 Avigilon cameras, and 1 Dahua starlight hooked up now. Using IVS to detect passing cars, night animals, and burglers, on a mountain side home. Found it has built-in IVS which works (sort-of) for non-Dahua cameras. Nice, the wording on their specs were unclear to me. If you try to add more than 2 IVS cameras, it acts enabled, but then is not.....I saw a spec somewhere in one of their datasheets which said 2 channels max, so its pretty clear that is what is going on. My 3rd camera is Dahua with IVS builtin, and as soon as you make it "private", which I think means proprietary, then suddenly you can get IVS on it also. I found none of this in the manual. but nice.... Problem being, several times, the On screen IVS symbology disappears, and it seems that the detection quits working then. This happens on generally the same Avigilon camera, and a reboot brings back operation. That is a concern! I uninstalled this camera, and reinstalled, and it worked for a couple days and just did it again. Wondering if anyone has insights into what might possibly correct this. It smells like a bug!
Other impressions: Replay/search could be a little more user-friendly with some simple features. A way to skip the current detect, and move to the next would be nice. Fast forward beyond 16x would be preferable. Easier way to select time would be nice. I think the search/play could be better thought out.
Fan is a little loud. Not really bad, especially in a cabinet, but noticeable. It seems to stay cool, even in a cabinet, maybe I will look for a fan controller and do a mod.
Another thought, I like the little red/green square around the object being tracked provided in SmartPSS. There is none on the NVR display. This should be selectable, but I know of no way.
Well, thats all for now, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Zor

n3wb
Reaction score
I think there are ports, then ports, then other ports.....
The TCP port is usually 37777, the HTTP port, I believe it is , is usually 80, though you can set your camera to use a non-default port, then there are also RTSP ports which default is usually 554. Maybe someone more certain should answer, I believe there are times I used 80, if the camera was being registered as ONVIF. Well thats all the guesses I have for now.....

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
On ALL of the Dahua's NVR I have set up, the stock settings are private 37777 and Onvif 80. As far as getting IVS to work with that Dahua NVR and your Avigilon cameras, it a crap shoot for sure. And yes your firmware seems outdated, ask your seller to provide you with the latest.

Zor

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the info, c hris. I did ask my seller, and she said I have the latest. I have looked at least 1 place online, and found the same version available. If you or anyone has a clue where to find newer firmware for this nvr, I would appreciate it.
It dropped the ivs on the same channel again last nite. I believe the backend IVS features of this nvr are for this purpose, to add ivs to a non-ivs camera. Maybe it is the onvif was not debugged. But something about my setup is triggering this bug. That camera is far away, at my gate, but no video loss was reported. the bit rates were different, I just made them the same. A reset brought it back, that is all that would work. thanks again.

Didact74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My firmware is also 7/14/2016....its the latest according to my supplier.

You can set the IVS rules to show in the "Display" settings of the NVR. It will show the tripwire or intrusion info as well as motion.

All my cameras are Dahua though.

Zor

n3wb
Reaction score
yes, thanks, I see how to turn on and off the blue tripwire etc. But in SmartPSS. I get a green rectangle around items being tracked to go over the tripwire, which turns red when it crosses. I would like to have that option, as well, it would be nice to be able to turn on/off such symbology from the live screen, like in other apps....