Dahua pentabrid xvr5116h-x any good?

Hndyman55

n3wb
Reaction score
So I own a dog grooming/boarding/daycare facility. I have a cheap no name 8 camera nvr that uses xmeye app. Will i benefit from upgrading to the Dahua xvr5116h-x? Of course this will add 8 more camera spots. Its pretty much recording all day and night with 8 cams now and i only get about 2 days worth on the 1tb hard drive. However it has been very useful. We have had to go back and find who dropped money in the parking lot, who took the wrong keys off the front counter, what dog had runny poop etc. etc.

Will the Dahua give me better clarity?

I would love some guidance in setting a surveillance system up for this business. Better cover the parking lot, faces that come in, better coverage inside. There are too many blind spots in certain areas hence needing more cameras. Many times i feel the cameras are too far away and i can hardly tell the difference between the same color dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome, please study this on a real computer: Cliff Notes also study the Wiki.
A new NVR will not improve on the picture coming from the cameras. This is a function of the camera.
I highly recommend to study the cliff notes.
It's not as simple, as you have found out, to just buy a kit and install it.
It takes planning, and design.

I would recommend a camera like this.
(20) Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal | IP Cam Talk

Depending on the size of the your outdoor area, the same cams may or may cover your area.
The goal is to know who did it, not just what happened.
Don't mount cams more than 8ft high.

Then as far as recording, I would recommend Blue Iris Blue Iris - Video Security Software on a refurbed PC, its much more flexible than an NVR.
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk
Only other equipment you would need would be a POE switch to power the cameras and a bigger hard drive like a 4tb or bigger Western digital Purple HD.

This setup will be a huge improvement over what you currently have. Agian, study the wiki.