Dahua poe camera not connecting to my NVR

Karriman

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased some DAHUA poe cameras and an DAHUA NVR from Andy. I was able to get the NVR setup and online but I'm having trouble getting the cameras to show up after connecting them to the NVR. I've tried connecting one cam at a time but I've had no luck. For some reason the NVR shows up under the device list and not my camera. I've changed the NVR ip by using DHCP. i took a look over the DAHUA wiki guides but can't seem to figure it out. Any luck would be much appreciated.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
What NVR model?

First, lose that machine interface and open a browser and navigate to 192.168.1.108 (your NVR) and use the Web interface from here on

Next, If its a NVR with built in PoE ports, unplug all cameras. Plug in one at a time wating 3-5min apart. Dont mess with device search. Reboot NVR, wait at least 5 minutes and the cameras plugged into the NVR should show up in the bottom pane. Now click the blie IE logo for each camera to log into the camera.

Karriman

n3wb
Reaction score
The back of the NVR says nvr5208-8p-4ks2e but the software says nvr5232-8p-4ks2e and the serial numbers are different so i don't know (see photos).

I did what you said and couldn't hit that ip. I couldn't ping it either from my PC. I have the NVR and pc plugged into the same router. I went in the NVR and selected DCHP and it got a new ip which i was able to navigate to from my browser but my camera does not show up.

Attachments

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Set the camera and NVR to be on same subnet. What's your camera IP? Looks like 192.168.64.108 is your NVR? What's 192.168.0.59 ?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks like he manually changed the NVR to

As @civic17 says, the NVR and camera are on different subnets. (xxx.xxx.1.xxx -vs - xxx.xxx.0.xxx )

Manually change your NVR IP to 192.168.1.254 then 1)reboot 2)plug a single camera in, wait 5 min 3) login to NVR and that camera should be seen in the bottom pane

Karriman

n3wb
Reaction score
I had changed it to DHCP and then it picked up192.168.0.59 before i started this thread then i changed it back to 192.168.1.108 and tried what you said in your first reply but that didn't work. I just tried what you said and set the NVR IP to 192.168.1.254 but I can't reach it through my browser I tried pinging that IP address and it timed out.I checked my computer IP address and it's 192. 168. 0. 20. Not sure what to do next.

Thank you all for your help

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Your pc and the NVR need to be in the same subnet. Get that first. Sounds like your network is 192.168.0.x so make the nvr static 192.168.0.254

Then once you can reach the nvr with a browser, you can plug in 1 camera to the #1 poe port

Karriman

n3wb
Reaction score
I set the NVR ip to 198.162.0.253 (said 254 was taken) and no luck. I then reconfigured my router and pc , with the pc now pulling a 192.168.1.x changed the NVR back to 192.168.1.108 and the camer still doesnt show up. Please see pics if you can spot anything wrong

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok you can reach the NVR at .1.108 so stay in the web interface

Now unplug all cameras.
Reboot NVR
Plug in 1 camera in poe port 1
Reboot again
Wait

civic17

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The camera's default IP is 192.168.1.108. Why you change your NVR to be the same at 192.168.1.108? Change it to anything but that number - example 192.168.1.200.

Also from the beginning you made it more difficult to setup than was needed. Since this was a NVR with POE built in all you needed to do was plug your PC and camera to the NVR ethernet ports without your router and configure from there then once you get all that working you can plug it to your home network if that's you wanted to do.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The default is .108 on the NVR also.
With built in PoE the NVR will recognize each camera and give it a 10.1.1.x address no need to initialize like on a non-poe NVR

Agree that’s why I suggested .1.254

Karriman

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera's default IP is 192.168.1.108. Why you change your NVR to be the same at 192.168.1.108? Change it to anything but that number - example 192.168.1.200.

Also from the beginning you made it more difficult to setup than was needed. Since this was a NVR with POE built in all you needed to do was plug your PC and camera to the NVR ethernet ports without your router and configure from there then once you get all that working you can plug it to your home network if that's you wanted to do.
So i should of plugged my PC directly into one of the 8 poe ports or the main ethernet port that should go to the router?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
No
If you are able to login to the NVR on your home network via a browser, there is no need.

You can't assign the cameras a 10.1.1.x address, the NVR needs to do that itself.

Having hooked up 4 of these fairly recently it should be very simple. Something is not what it appears to be...???

Start with your connection to the NVR/. Give it an address of 192.168.1.253 as you said it took before. (or any other address in that range for that matter, higher the better) Then REBOOT before you do anything. Go back and verify you can login to the NVR via that IP address on your network from your PC.

Then Make sure all cameras are unplugged. Plug one camera in, wait 5 full minutes, reboot the NVR and wait 5 minutes again and tell us if it appears in the lower pane.

Karriman

n3wb
Reaction score
I honestly thought it would be fairly simple myself as I've done five cctv systems previously but this is my first time setting up a dahua system.

Before I try what you just said let me explain where I'm at right now.

I ended up connecting the camera to a Netgear Poe switch and ran through the initial setup wizard and set a pw (same as nvr) I initially gave it a static IP switched it from 192.168.1.108 to 192.168.1.191 and was able to view the video feed from my web browser but I was not able to connect it to the DVR no matter what I did. I then went into the camera and set it to DHCP. I connected the camera directly to the NVR but it didn't pick up. And then connected my modem / router to the poe switch, connected my NVR to the p o e switch add connect to the camera which was set to DHCP to the poe switch. At that point the NVR was able to pick up the camera and I was able to add it. I would like to be able to add all the cameras to the NVR directly so I don't have to use a p o e switch.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thsts really odd, there should be no need for a PoE switch as the NVR has one built in. You’ve bypassed it.

So it makes me wonder why the internal PoE isn’t working.....????

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I honestly thought it would be fairly simple myself as I've done five cctv systems previously but this is my first time setting up a dahua system.
Suggestion:
Power up the camera on the PoE switch on the LAN, not on the NVR.
Reset the camera to factory defaults via the web GUI.
Disconnect from the PoE switch and connect it to the NVR PoE port that you'd like the camera to show on.
The NVR will do all the camera configuration.
But it can't do that if you've already set the camera up with a non-standard-to-the-NVR-PoE-segment IP address.