Dahua poor auto tracking - What am I doing wrong?

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can't get my new SD59225U-HNI to track reliably. It's about 25% successful.

Dahua example:

Hikvision example:

IVS rule:

DahuaFailedTrack.PNG

Is it just the Dahua is not very good at tracking vs the Hikvision? Yes about 25% of the time it tracks perfectly fine but most of the time it's like this.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You shouldn't even need that rule for the auto-tracking actually. I have the same camera and it auto-tracks without any rules set. But the camera does seem to lag (like it does in your first clip where it's at the car's original spot but misses it moving), or it overshoots (possibly over-anticipating the movement).

Theres many posts here about that cam's auto-tracking. 25% success isn't too bad, I get about 40% success but my area doesn't look to be as busy as yours. My 59225U will track a cat perfectly one time then totally miss tracking a human walking the same path. :idk:.

Search "spotting camera" here for maybe some better ideas.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You shouldn't even need that rule for the auto-tracking actually. I have the same camera and it auto-tracks without any rules set. But the camera does seem to lag (like it does in your first clip where it's at the car's original spot but misses it moving), or it overshoots (possibly over-anticipating the movement).

Theres many posts here about that cam's auto-tracking. 25% success isn't too bad, I get about 40% success but my area doesn't look to be as busy as yours. My 59225U will track a cat perfectly one time then totally miss tracking a human walking the same path. :idk:.

Search "spotting camera" here for maybe some better ideas.
Without the rule and global auto tracking turned on, it tracks cars going by on the cross street all day long. I tried raising the line up a bit to see if it can start tracking sooner over the threshold and also pulled back the zoom just a bit.

Clearly the Hikvision camera's are way better at tracking.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Without the rule and global auto tracking turned on, it tracks cars going by on the cross street all day long. I tried raising the line up a bit to see if it can start tracking sooner over the threshold and also pulled back the zoom just a bit.

Clearly the Hikvision camera's are way better at tracking.
Your area is much busier than mine so I can get away without the cam seeing the other "distractions". One thing that did help mine a bit was to have the zoom a bit tighter on the target area, but really I only view the autotracking on my Dahua's as more a gimmick rather than mission critical activities.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@sorka - I'd say you are sending back - that Hik seems superior in every fashion?

My "clone and zone" in BI looks better than that autotrack of the Dahua...

My neighbor just received his Dahua today - I am going to help him set it up - hope it performs better than this!

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What's the price difference between the two cameras?

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It just can't be this bad. Maybe having global tracking and IVS plan tracking on at the same time is conflicting somehow? I just disabled global tracking. Next I'll disable IVS and turn global tracking back on.

I just need it to track at least half as good as the Hivision.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's very location dependent. If you have a lot of obstacles like you do in the frame, it will get lost as you see.
It takes a LOT of tuning to get it even close to accurate.
Not sure what you are referring to when you say "Global Tracking".
I have this same cam, and have no such setting as "Global Tracking".

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's very location dependent. If you have a lot of obstacles like you do in the frame, it will get lost as you see.
It takes a LOT of tuning to get it even close to accurate.
Not sure what you are referring to when you say "Global Tracking".
I have this same cam, and have no such setting as "Global Tracking".
Obstacles? This is about as obstacle free as you can get. I'm at the bottom of a 400 foot wide cul-de-sac that gets almost no traffic with no waving plants close up. How do you get better than this?

What are my options for tuning that would keep the camera from deciding without warning to just drop a perfectly centered object from being tracked to being dropped like that?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Obstacles? This is about as obstacle free as you can get. I'm at the bottom of a 400 foot wide cul-de-sac that gets almost no traffic with no waving plants close up. How do you get better than this?

What are my options for tuning that would keep the camera from deciding without warning to just drop a perfectly centered object from being tracked to being dropped like that?
Anything that is in the field of view between the camera and the subject tends to confuse the cam.
Search for post's by member @Cameraguy , he has the same cam and had it working very well at tracking, but note he has no obstacles.
I have the same cam, and gave up on it long ago for auto tracking, because in my situation, I have "obstacles" everywhere.
Another member here who has multiple PTZ's likes to state that, if you depend on AutoTracking, it will piss you off.
These are obstacles, Such as

1583181898911.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

what is global tracking you are referencing.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anything that is in the field of view between the camera and the subject tends to confuse the cam.
Search for post's by member @Cameraguy , he has the same cam and had it working very well at tracking, but note he has no obstacles.
I have the same cam, and gave up on it long ago for auto tracking, because in my situation, I have "obstacles" everywhere.
Another member here who has multiple PTZ's likes to state that, if you depend on AutoTracking, it will piss you off.
These are obstacles, Such as

View attachment 56606
That's not it. There are plenty of other examples where the mailbox never even comes into view and the camera does exactly the same thing. If object being tracked went behind the mailbox, that would be one thing but without that, i won't know the difference between a foreground and background object.

Look at the first example I posted in the first message.

My two Hikvision camera's are pretty much rock solid even when the cars go behind the sego palms and mailbox. The location this Dahua is in is the prime spot with the least amount of vehicle obscuring foreground objects.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe the difference between a $500 Dahua and a $1500 Hikvision?

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe the difference between a $500 Dahua and a $1500 Hikvision?
Maybe but my Hikvision cameras have exactly the same tracking engine as the smaller DS-2DE4A425IW-DE cameras that are about the same price as this Dahua. The only downside to those is that the plastic domes tend to reflect IR inside making it not quite as ideal at night. Also, the 4 MP of the DS-2DE4A425IW-DE is not as good as the 2 MP Duhua at night.

I'm now starting to think I'll need to return this and acquire the Hikvision DS-2DE4A425IW-DE instead.

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Warning with DS-2DE4A425IW-DE its a dome camera with poor IR power (reflective problems ) :) good product but not for same applications !

BICK

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Warning with DS-2DE4A425IW-DE its a dome camera with poor IR power (reflective problems ) :) good product but not for same applications !

BICK
Didn't I already say that :)

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I agree. That looks great. Is this the chinese import or USA version? Are you using global tracking or an IVS rule?
Its IVS Rule with line crossing , this cam is coming from Europe.
You have to set the minimum target and maximum target size.

BICK