Dahua poor detecting birds with IVS?

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a customer who wants to detect birds on a farm area and after positive detection sound from a big speaker should come out (gunshot or bird scream sound, etc.) to scare them away.

I have started testing this with installing SD4A216DB-HNY PTZ camera. Seems to be good camera, but so far in 3 days I have got it triggered just once from a bird flying through intrusion area.

So, I thought maybe they are too fast, so I added also fast moving - area with highest sensitivity. No success. Also added tripwire and loitering detection (birds sitting on the roofs), but no success. I have played with target min/max size and turned SMD off, also target filtering human/vehicle is off.

So far best method has been using just traditional video detection. However that makes much false alarms, and can be problematic especially on rain or when wind is shaking the camera.

I have came to the conclusion that even SMD is off, there is something in IVS algorithm that filters out birds quite efficiently. Makes sense as in normal use birds and insects are usually not wanted to trigger recordings.

Any ideas on this?

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah that’s a tough one, and a unique request!
Thermal might be your solution

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the "downside" with the new AI is that it is geared towards people and cars. Remember we are not their target audience, it is businesses.

You would have to use something like BI with its AI to get that function. Or as mentioned a thermal.

That doesn't mean you won't get some wildlife with motion detection instead of IVS, but it has been shown that even turning off target filtering, it still is looking for a person or car.

You would have to get an older PTZ that doesn't have AI in order to trigger for wildlife consistently.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@oh6hfx I agree with @wittaj , cam AI these days are intended for people/vehicle detection. As you have seen for yourself, birds will not consistently trigger IVS rules. You probably need to go with plain motion on cam or BI5 and then send to CP.AI for bird detection.

Take some snapshots and send it thru CP.AI manually to see how well it works. Even with CP.AI, the included models may not be good enough so training your own model with your own images may be required. CP.AI includes a training module:

birds.png

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks! These are good points. I thought also that maybe I need external AI to process video or images to detect them more reliable.

oh6hfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Little progress! I went through all IVS settings directly in camera and there is sensitivity setting for tripwire, intrusion and loitering. After setting them to max IVS seems to trip better when there is birds. Crowd of magpies tripped two IVS rules immediately.

MC1987

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You will be lucky to capture birds with Dahua IVS, maybe if they are in the distance but typically you wont catch them with rules