Dahua PTZ Heater Issues?

DezertManiac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Morning All, need your expertise,

I was surprised to wake up this morning and upon checking on my Livestream PTZ camera to discover frozen droplets had accumulated on camera lens. While last night was very windy and we got a light dusting and with a possible windchill factor of 10-15 degrees F, ( forecast called for 20 degrees F) was not expecting this outcome.
From my very minimal knowledge this shouldn't have happen, due to camera integrated heater (unsure how it works, hopefully not user error on my end)? As (if memory serves me right) previous week was even colder than this morning/last night.
Camera model: SD8A845QA-HNF SD8A845QA-HNF - Dahua International (from @EMPIRETECANDY )
Operating Temperature: –40°C to +70°C (–40°F to +158°F) from camera specs
Camera is powered via Dahua hi-POE adapter (60W max output)
Question is, is there any possible things I should be looking at? is it normal? Any possible way to test heater element? Settings I should be looking at? I will perform a reboot of camera later on.
Camera has a smart wiper, however it's set to manual, if set to auto, (wiper will run indefinitely, if water is detected), could possible be a solution to prevent issue, but I prefer to run manual for now.
Camera location right next to the lake, could also be a big factor.
Link to youtube livestream: (fine now, that the sun is out)

@EMPIRETECANDY if you are reading this, is this normal, or could you support in reaching out to Dahua, TIA!!!!!

P.S. camera will be level this upcoming spring/summer, don't judge me LOL

As always, Thank you for your support, love the website, and visit almost on a daily basis!

(looks live video might not be loading properly)

Attachments

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Quote:
Camera has a smart wiper, however it's set to manual, if set to auto, (wiper will run indefinitely, if water is detected), could possible be a solution to prevent issue, but I prefer to run manual for now.

Are people are getting more dumb from day to day ?

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a similar model. It's -3 right now with windchill about -20. My lens is clear but it hasn't been snowing lately.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the heater is to prevent the PTZ gears from freezing and it is heating the inside of the camera more than the outside. When I went out and touched the camera glass it feels very cold.

What you said about the camera wiper makes perfect sense and is not dumb at all, BTW

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm sitting here at -4 and a WC of -40 yet my cam internal temp shows a balmy 33F. I am very happy it functions fine!
Where do you find the cam internal temp? My cam is on Web 5.0 and I'm not seeing it anywhere

DezertManiac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Quote:

Are people are getting more dumb from day to day ?

I guess you might know it all, unsure if you have one of these PTZ cameras or not, thus I said "could be a solution", believe me you don't want a wiper working for very prolonged hours (possibly days, during major storms) on the lenses on these or any other camera for that matter, it will scratch the lens, think of the windshield wiper on your car, don't tell me your windshield is not scratch, have a nice day now.

DezertManiac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a similar model. It's -3 right now with windchill about -20. My lens is clear but it hasn't been snowing lately.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the heater is to prevent the PTZ gears from freezing and it is heating the inside of the camera more than the outside. When I went out and touched the camera glass it feels very cold.

What you said about the camera wiper makes perfect sense and is not dumb at all, BTW
Thank you, It is the internet after all, and people seem to know it all!
Back to the camera, yeah that's what Im getting, possibly water/snow just freezing on the lens, if its getting that cold.

DezertManiac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm sitting here at -4 and a WC of -40 yet my cam internal temp shows a balmy 33F. I am very happy it functions fine!

View attachment 182615
Nice and excellent info, I'll keep an eye out on internal temperature (Thanks for the tip as I always thought that temperature was for location ambient temperature), if I recall, camera has been ok on actual snow, this particular storm was more of freezing rain (if that makes sense), I'll continue to monitor on future storms (which we are not getting much this year, we'll see.