Dahua PTZ SmartIR Issue

boomer53a

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently purchased the Dahua PTZ model SDAL6245U-HNI-IR to replace my older Hikvision PTZ model DS-2DE7186-AE. I have it connected via ONVIF to my Hikvision NVR DS-7616NI-I2/16p.

The problem is that at night the Dahua SmartIR function doesn't dim the image down enough automatically when focussing on a vehicle number plate. This occurs after the PTZ has been in Colour Mode (day time) and it switches into Black & White mode (night time). I have to either...

1. Manually reboot the PTZ to get SmartIR to dim down sufficiently to see the car number plate.
2. Reselect the SmartIR from the IR Light section by selecting 'ZoomPrio' and then reselecting SmartIR.

By doing this the image immediately dims down sufficiently to clearly display the number plate details.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcr95c3kqtg0yqk/Dahua%20SmartIR%20Problem.mp4?dl=0

Essentially I have to manually switch the PTZ IR Light mode from SmartIR to ZoomPrio and then back to SmartIR (or reboot the PTZ) in order to get the PTZ to dim sufficiently to view car number plates at night time, after the PTZ switches from day time mode to night mode

I have tried numerous firmware versions and also liaised with technical reps from Dahua. The Dahua reps are not able to explain why I need to reselect the SmartIR option to make this perform properly (for want of a better word). To me it looks like a firmware problem in that after being in Colour Mode (day time) the functionality that governs the SmartIR function doesn't work properly when in Black & White mode (night time). My older Hikvision PTZ had no problems with this scenario (maybe I shouldn't be comparing my old Hikvision DE Series PTZ to this new Dahua Ultra Series model??? Although I would have thought that the Ultra Series Dahua would be somewhat of a step up from the Hikvision DE Series????).

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance…

Best Regards!

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try setting the exposure to "Auto" during night, if you have not done already. Eventually you could try setting the BLC mode to HLC around 20 - 50%

My guess is, that this has nothing to do with the firmware or SmartIR be the issue. It mostly is just a wrong configuration of the exposure settings.

If you have set the Exposure to Manual, you could also try playing with the Gain and Exposure compensation settings.

boomer53a

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, thanks very much for your reply... I've have experimented with HLC (all the way up to 100%) and also manual Gain and Exposure settings. I can get the image to dim sufficiently this way however the image is somewhat overly dark when the PTZ is not zoomed. I have also used Exposure as 'Auto'.

The interesting piece (annoying) is that if I re-select (as per the Dropbox footage) SmartIR by change the IR Light mode to ZoomPrio and then back to SmartIR to image will dim down sufficiently. When the PTZ changes to 'Colour' mode during the day and then back to Black & White at night the issue re-occurs. I also thought about scheduling a reboot of the PTZ to mitigate the problem. It's a little frustrating given that I upgraded my Hikvision PTZ (DS-2DE7186-AE) for the Dahua Ultra Series PTZ model SDAL6245U-HNI-IR.

Another workaround is to use Customised BLC and reduce the size of the zone (box). When in the vicinity of a vehicle number plate the image will dim sufficiently to see the number plate details.

Again, switching the IR Light actually fixes the problem until day time and then it returns when switching back to B/W mode.

Thanks again for your reply... Cheers!