Dahua PTZ starlight outdoor recommendation

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A couple years ago I purchased a SD49225T-HN from Andy. Awesome camera. I'm looking for another couple PTZ outdoor starlight cams, but don't want to spend as much as I did on the SD49225T-HN and after going through the Dahua camera selector on their site, I'm confused as heck what to get. What's the recommendation for cheapest Dahua PTZ outdoor starlight? Don't need anything beyond 2K.

Thanks!

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
A couple years ago I purchased a SD49225T-HN from Andy. Awesome camera. I'm looking for another couple PTZ outdoor starlight cams, but don't want to spend as much as I did on the SD49225T-HN and after going through the Dahua camera selector on their site, I'm confused as heck what to get. What's the recommendation for cheapest Dahua PTZ outdoor starlight? Don't need anything beyond 2K.

Thanks!
I recommend the SD22204UE-GN. I know domes are not preferred here, but I have one looking over my driveway for over a month and have been happy with it. Especially for the price.

Amazon.com : Loryta SD22204UE-GN IP Camera 2MP 4X Starlight PTZ Network Camera Support PoE Support Triple-Streams encoding English Version : Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

thendawg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2nd your recommendation of the SD22204UE-GN, Ive been using one for about 6 mo now under an eve and it works great, none of the issues I worried about (rain spots, glare, etc) have actually been an issue at all lol. Its been a great camera - the lack of ir could be an issue for some, but I have good lighting in the area and with the starvis sensor I get a great image

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yeah me too. I haven't had mine go into black/white mode once since I put it up, except when i turned all outside lights off to test it.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score

Thanks!
My favorite dahua all time is sd59225u-hni

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Andy suggested an IPC-HDW5231R-Z. It's been too cold outside to install, but warmed up to 60 today so just got it up and running this evening,
though I did have some issues when trying to tighten down the eyeball into the frame. Turning the torx screw enough to tighten it so the eyeball was tight caused the screw to 'pop' off the frame. I had to settle for reasonably tight eyeball but I can still move it with my hands. It didn't have that issue when I took it out of the box so I'm not sure what's up.

Cameraguy, your 59225 suggestion ignores my ask for something cheaper than the 49225 :p. I love the 49225 so I'm sure I'd love the 59225 but this was mounted on a fence where the end of my driveway meets the backyard. No PTZ required because it would either turn toward my house or a fence and then there's usually a car in the driveway, so zoom is also unnecessary.

Attachments

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My favorite dahua all time is sd59225u-hni
Now you have me drooling over that one! If only money grew on trees! It looks like that is the price point for AI features now. I tried a 12x zoom camera without any AI and liked it but replaced it with a 25x zoom Dahua with AI that is now having a boatload of issues.

I'm afraid I've spoiled myself with 25x zoom now and 12x won't be the same! Anyone have a favorite 25x zoom camera with or without any AI features? As long as preset calls work I can use my home automation to call it where it needs to go (something the SD49225XA-HNR is failing at).

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Now you have me drooling over that one! If only money grew on trees! It looks like that is the price point for AI features now. I tried a 12x zoom camera without any AI and liked it but replaced it with a 25x zoom Dahua with AI that is now having a boatload of issues.

I'm afraid I've spoiled myself with 25x zoom now and 12x won't be the same! Anyone have a favorite 25x zoom camera with or without any AI features? As long as preset calls work I can use my home automation to call it where it needs to go (something the SD49225XA-HNR is failing at).
Sd59225u-hni has been the best ptz I've used

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Sd59225u-hni has been the best ptz I've used
Not that I really need it, more that I'm talking myself into spending the extra $200..... how is the Auto-Tracking and IVS features? The 49225 crashes and reboots if I add too many rules to IVS. Odd that it appears the 59 has less RAM/ROM than the 49 series.

I have full property coverage with stationary cameras with the exception of our mailboxes in a neighbors yard across the street and diagonal to us. My hope with the 49225 was to have it stationary overlooking the driveway with IVS rules to jump to the mailboxes and to follow people walking up. I also wanted home automations calling presets based on doors opening but the unreliability of its positioning has failed me in every desire.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Not that I really need it, more that I'm talking myself into spending the extra $200..... how is the Auto-Tracking and IVS features? The 49225 crashes and reboots if I add too many rules to IVS. Odd that it appears the 59 has less RAM/ROM than the 49 series.

I have full property coverage with stationary cameras with the exception of our mailboxes in a neighbors yard across the street and diagonal to us. My hope with the 49225 was to have it stationary overlooking the driveway with IVS rules to jump to the mailboxes and to follow people walking up. I also wanted home automations calling presets based on doors opening but the unreliability of its positioning has failed me in every desire.
This is my channel.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like it has some IR washout. I'm in full color all night right now but probably won't be enough light for that when the snow melts.
Could be settings