Dahua SD59225U-HNI power adapter extension

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am going to run an extension wire off the end of the power adapter.. what type of wire would you use and what gauge. Is 12 gauge speaker wire ok? Looking to go 20 ft max..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using this voltage drop calculator, you should be fine with #12 copper up to 20 feet.

The specs says with IR on, the cam draws 23w which at 24VAC is less than 1 amp.

Increasing the margin by doubling the current draw to 2 amps still shows only a .13 volts drop to 23.87 at the cam, which is very acceptable, IMO.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
12 gauge speaker wire
12 gauge speaker wire? Really?
12 gauge wire is suitable for house wiring for a 20amp circuit.
(tho house wiring is jacketed, solid conductor, with ground, etc, etc. Definitely not "speaker wire")
I've never seen 12ga speaker wire. Even heavy duty extension cords for power tools are rarely 12ga.

18ga speaker wire would be fine, IMHO. Using the voltage drop calculatorthat TonyR thoughtfully provided, and using the conservative figure of 2amps, you'd see a 1/2 volt drop, ie:

Voltage drop: 0.51
Voltage drop percentage: 2.13%
Voltage at the end: 23.49,

Bottom line: double check the speaker wire gauge.
Then check the input power requirements of the device you're powering. Stay within its input power requirements....
Since voltage drop is the issue, use good connections. Ideally, solder or crimp the connections. Wire nuts maybe. Twisting the conductors and taping: definitely not!

Fastb

Last edited:

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Using this voltage drop calculator, you should be fine with #12 copper up to 20 feet.

The specs says with IR on, the cam draws 23w which at 24VAC is less than 1 amp.

Increasing the margin by doubling the current draw to 2 amps still shows only a .13 volts drop to 23.87 at the cam, which is very acceptable, IMO.
Thank you!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
12 gauge speaker wire? Really?
12 gauge wire is suitable for house wiring for a 20amp circuit.
(tho house wiring is jacketed, solid conductor, with ground, etc, etc. Definitely not "speaker wire")
I've never seen 12ga speaker wire. Even heavy duty extension cords for power tools are rarely 12ga.
There is some 12 gauge speaker wire out there, believe it or not. Not saying the OP needs it, but it's out there. "Better than too big than too little".

Now..where have I heard that before? Hmmm. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.