Dahua SD59230HNI Auto track instability

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am out of ideas with this camera. Whether its set to default or set up with different settings, this thing seems drunk. Such nice features but at the price, I am disappointed. May be returning it and waiting for features that actually work. My brother and I both bought at the same time and I suggested Andy's Amazon store so hopefully there is a resolution to this problem. BOTH of our cameras do the same thing.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it had a New Years Eve hangover, lol
Where did you buy this camera from?

The autotracking works well when the appropriate parameters are configured in the web UI. If used as is can be gimmicky. Having a couple of fixed lens cameras mounted nearby is necessary to provide the PTZ the necessary assistance to pan, tilt, and zoom; you can configure the cameras to communicate with each other. Perhaps someone here with a similar PTZ can assist you with that by posting screenshots of the settings

I am out of ideas with this camera. Whether its set to default or set up with different settings, this thing seems drunk. Such nice features but at the price, I am disappointed. May be returning it and waiting for features that actually work. My brother and I both bought at the same time and I suggested Andy's Amazon store so hopefully there is a resolution to this problem. BOTH of our cameras do the same thing.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Having a couple of fixed lens cameras mounted nearby is necessary to provide the PTZ the necessary assistance to pan, tilt, and zoom; you can configure the cameras to communicate with each other. Perhaps someone here with a similar PTZ can assist you with that by posting screenshots of the settings
The auto-tracking doesn't require additional cams. It's possible to use extra cams to call the PTZ around to a different Preset, but for the PTZ to auto-track, that Preset will need its own Deep IVS rules so that once the PTZ arrives at the Preset, it can use those rules to auto-track.

I have/had a lower-line verson of that cam, and the auto-tracking did have some confused moments where a human subject would walk right out of a scene while the camera tried to reacquire them after changing zoom levels.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think it had a New Years Eve hangover, lol
Where did you buy this camera from?

The autotracking works well when the appropriate parameters are configured in the web UI. If used as is can be gimmicky. Having a couple of fixed lens cameras mounted nearby is necessary to provide the PTZ the necessary assistance to pan, tilt, and zoom; you can configure the cameras to communicate with each other. Perhaps someone here with a similar PTZ can assist you with that by posting screenshots of the settings
Bought it from Kingsecurity2018 on Amazon. (Andy's store).

I do have 3 other cameras in the front of the house. I tried something new today and I think you are correct. Right out of the Box the auto tracking is horrendous.I set up intrusion boxes and that seems to work pretty well. The only exception is I don't bother trying to track vehicles as in my installation they are going by too fast because they are only 50' away. I don't think any camera for a reasonable price can possibly track and focus that fast. I am using blue Iris so I believe there are inter-camera triggers that can be set up but I haven't got that far yet. Hopefully within the 30 day return policy period, I can figure this out because I don't want to return it. Everything else about it is quite amazing.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The auto-tracking doesn't require additional cams. It's possible to use extra cams to call the PTZ around to a different Preset, but for the PTZ to auto-track, that Preset will need its own Deep IVS rules so that once the PTZ arrives at the Preset, it can use those rules to auto-track.

I have/had a lower-line verson of that cam, and the auto-tracking did have some confused moments where a human subject would walk right out of a scene while the camera tried to reacquire them after changing zoom levels.
I did not see any options for deep IVS. I do wonder about the software version being current although the camera says it is the newest one it is from December of 2018. I guess it is possible that there have been no firmware updates.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What I mean is that it helps and increases the chances of the PTZ of accurately and successfully pointed at the correct target (based on presets that rely on the IVS rules on the non-PTZ cameras). Otherwise, without the additional cameras, users would need to rely on PIR motion detectors; without these supplements, its been said by others that auto-tracking is gimmicky if solely relied upon

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am using blue Iris so I believe there are inter-camera triggers that can be set up but I haven't got that far yet. Hopefully within the 30 day return policy period, I can figure this out because I don't want to return it. Everything else about it is quite amazing.
I can help you with the inter-camera triggers in Blue Iris if needed. My own PTZ shipped out for inspection, but the general theme is this:

1. aim the camera at the scenes where you'd expect the action to happen, and create & save a Preset for each scene
2. in the camera's Web interface, go to the Settings > Events, then go into Smart Motion Detection and add an IVS plan to each of your Presets.
3. go into Deep IVS, and in each Preset, add one or more rules, like an intrusion zone or tripwire.
4. in the camera's Web interface, go into the PTZ settings and set an Idle Motion to send it to your main scene's Preset after x minutes.

Now get into Blue Iris's Camera Settings for a spotter cam that would need to summon the PTZ when something happens. Like in my case, there's a shed that the PTZ would normally look away from. In Blue Iris, I can right-click the shed cam, choose Camera Settings, and then in Alerts I can hit the "On Alert..." button and add a "Do Command..." which issues an order to the PTZ cam to go to the Preset that looks at the shed.

Then the PTZ would swing around to the shed, where the new Preset contains a new Deep IVS intrusion zone and it ought to initiate auto-tracking from there. If nothing happens after x minutes, it ought to go back to its main Preset due to the Idle Motion task in the camera. Alternately, I can tell the shed camera to simply order the PTZ back to its primary Preset after the shed cam's alert expires due to inactivity.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
auto going left to right, or visa versa, is very difficult for a PTZ to be accurate. fast movement is difficult, esp at close range. Had better luck with my SD49225XA-HNR 2MP, than my SD52C225U-HNI 2MP

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're not using autotracking on the newer model, right?

auto going left to right, or visa versa, is very difficult for a PTZ to be accurate. fast movement is difficult, esp at close range. Had better luck with my SD49225XA-HNR 2MP, than my SD52C225U-HNI 2MP

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
both are new, but I believe that HNR model is newer. Definitely much better. but still I have stationary cameras as back up. The HNI is only about 4 months old, possibly might be new software. Have not had a chance to check.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can help you with the inter-camera triggers in Blue Iris if needed. My own PTZ shipped out for inspection, but the general theme is this:

1. aim the camera at the scenes where you'd expect the action to happen, and create & save a Preset for each scene
2. in the camera's Web interface, go to the Settings > Events, then go into Smart Motion Detection and add an IVS plan to each of your Presets.
3. go into Deep IVS, and in each Preset, add one or more rules, like an intrusion zone or tripwire.
4. in the camera's Web interface, go into the PTZ settings and set an Idle Motion to send it to your main scene's Preset after x minutes.

Now get into Blue Iris's Camera Settings for a spotter cam that would need to summon the PTZ when something happens. Like in my case, there's a shed that the PTZ would normally look away from. In Blue Iris, I can right-click the shed cam, choose Camera Settings, and then in Alerts I can hit the "On Alert..." button and add a "Do Command..." which issues an order to the PTZ cam to go to the Preset that looks at the shed.

Then the PTZ would swing around to the shed, where the new Preset contains a new Deep IVS intrusion zone and it ought to initiate auto-tracking from there. If nothing happens after x minutes, it ought to go back to its main Preset due to the Idle Motion task in the camera. Alternately, I can tell the shed camera to simply order the PTZ back to its primary Preset after the shed cam's alert expires due to inactivity.
That is almost exactly what I have set up. My camera's UI does not have "Deep IVS" or "Smart Motion Detection". Only has "Smart Plan" in which you select one of two options, "Face Detection" or "IVS" for each preset that is listed. I selected "IVS". I have found that even though the camera states the software is the latest version, There is a newer one, but according to the original poster, there are a few bugs with it.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The SD49225XA-HNR has AI

both are new, but I believe that HNR model is newer. Definitely much better. but still I have stationary cameras as back up. The HNI is only about 4 months old, possibly might be new software. Have not had a chance to check.