Dahua SD5A825-HNR with a 1/1.8” 8MP Sensor

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi, anyone have this camera as I have the upgrade bug again but would like to know how it would perform at night in colour mode with good to average street lighting.

I would be comparing it against the PTZ that I have now SD49225xa-HNR. I have also been looking at the SD5A425XA-HNR
4MP 25x Starlight+ IR WizSense Network PTZ Camera and just can't make my mind up.

5A825-HNR - 1/1.8” 8MP Sensor with 25x
F1.6 to F4.0 lens
8GB ROM, 2GB RAM
Colour: 0.005 @ F1.6
B&W: 0.0005 @ F1.6
IR Distance: 492’
IR LED’s: 4

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have the SD5A425XA-HNR camera and it is a very good camera. IMHO the 4MP and the 1/1.8" sensor is a good match for night viewing. Again IMHO the 8MP and the 1/1.8" sensor would not be as good during the night time viewing unless there was a lot of light available.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Any chance I can have a login to look what it is like at night this would give me a better idea if it would suit my needs.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is video from the SD5A425XA-HNR. This is the same video I posted in the pickup truck theft thread and my most recent. If you want to see the whole thing slide the bar back to the beginning and watch the thief's car drive up. This around 4 AM.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Now this video is from my Dahua DH-SD8A820WA-HNF. This one is 8MB/4K but has the 4/3" sensor. I posted this for comparison and is the same scene as above. I paid $1800 for this camera. Some have bought it for around $1700. Again slide the bar back to the beginning if you want to see the whole thing.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you managed tp retrieve a plate from the support car? I could almost make it out on the 2nd video but obviously this isn't the original. The quality of the 4/3 sensor at night is clear to see. Pity we can't get these in some cheap zoom cameras as opposed to ptz's. The advantage and disadvantage of ptz is clear to see in these videos.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua will never use a 4/3" Sensor in a cheaper ptz or they won't sell their more expensive range which they want you to buy anyway but yes it would be good but won't happen.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you managed tp retrieve a plate from the support car? I could almost make it out on the 2nd video but obviously this isn't the original. The quality of the 4/3 sensor at night is clear to see. Pity we can't get these in some cheap zoom cameras as opposed to ptz's. The advantage and disadvantage of ptz is clear to see in these videos.
Yes, from my license plate camera that focuses on that street. Even a 2/3" sensor would be a nice step up. Hikvision uses those a lot but their cameras are more expensive.

Tino's Stolen Truck License Plate of Theif 1_Moment.jpg

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Dahua will never use a 4/3" Sensor in a cheaper ptz or they won't sell their more expensive range which they want you to buy anyway but yes it would be good but won't happen.
Yeah I didn't mean a ptz but a Varifocal Turret. Totally different application so shouldn't compete with the PTZ market. The market is crying out for great low light cameras and although they're getting better, this clearly shows what we already knew, that the bigger the sensor the better in low illuminance.

izzy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Parley, for sharing the video of your DH-SD8A820WA-HNF it looks so crisp and sharp.... the most amazing PTZ.

I checked out your youtube & found a few more 4k clips , absolutely amazing.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Now this video is from my Dahua DH-SD8A820WA-HNF. This one is 8MB/4K but has the 4/3" sensor. I posted this for comparison and is the same scene as above. I paid $1800 for this camera. Some have bought it for around $1700. Again slide the bar back to the beginning if you want to see the whole thing.
@Parley, resurrecting this older thread but I'm thinking of getting a better PTZ to upgrade my main entry PTZ and was looking up your 4/3" sensor one but I see it's labelled EOL. I was trying to find any other 4/3" Dahua sensor PTZ's but didn't see any. How have you found your DH-SD8A820WA-HNF after a year? I think if I'm going to spend a fair chunk on a better PTZ, I should look at all options.

The Dahua product selector seems so clunky, I couldn't get the SD6AL433XA-HNR to even come up when I choose all 4MP PTZ's....

The minimum I'm getting is a 4MP 1/1.8" sensor (right now likely a DH-SD8A820WA-HNF) but hard seeing what all Dahua has to offer. The Hunter series is interesting but not much info out there about it...

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Parley, resurrecting this older thread but I'm thinking of getting a better PTZ to upgrade my main entry PTZ and was looking up your 4/3" sensor one but I see it's labelled EOL. I was trying to find any other 4/3" Dahua sensor PTZ's but didn't see any. How have you found your DH-SD8A820WA-HNF after a year? I think if I'm going to spend a fair chunk on a better PTZ, I should look at all options.

The Dahua product selector seems so clunky, I couldn't get the SD6AL433XA-HNR to even come up when I choose all 4MP PTZ's....

The minimum I'm getting is a 4MP 1/1.8" sensor (right now likely a DH-SD8A820WA-HNF) but hard seeing what all Dahua has to offer. The Hunter series is interesting but not much info out there about it...
SD8A820WA-HNF you can also find it using IPVM.com