dahua starlight ip camera on a boat?

Mikeee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a dahua starlight ip camera on a boat? Not for security but as a navigational aid during the night? If so is there a tablet of monitor I can use to view it without a NVR or network?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If going with an IP network (digital) camera I would consider a 4MP with a sensor no smaller than 1/1/8" such as the IPC-T5442TM-AS.
You can assign the cam a static IP and the viewing device (small smart TV or a tablet with Ethernet port) also with a different static IP in the same subnet then no router is needed.

Most portable devices don't have even an available adapter for an Ethernet port and are only wireless. They can can connect to a router running AP mode and static IP and then the cam plugged into that router. Most IP cams will run on 12VDC as will many routers (make and model dependent, not a guarantee)

There could be analog HDCVI cams that could be set to run in the CVBS (composite) mode and plugged into a small monitor or TV that is "old" enough to have a composite input (yellow RCA jack) but I cannot say as I am not familiar with or use those.

Be aware that analog cams are real-time and IP cams can have a 1 to 2 second delay; that is why automotive backup cams are analog.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
100% agree with TonyR comments. Besides, a boat camera will be exposed to harsh elements, like salty sea water (even in lake will expose to sprayed water). You mentioned it will be installed in the frontal part of the boat. You may want to install/change all the exposed screws to stainless-steel. The camera lens will require frequent cleaning, which is recommended to be at an accesible height. Also all connectors, including cabling, need to be sealed (moisture and water protection). Even thou the following camera information (pdf) includes an stainless-steel body, check the installation overview part. It describe the procedure/requirements for a boat installation

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a dahua starlight ip camera on a boat? Not for security but as a navigational aid during the night? If so is there a tablet of monitor I can use to view it without a NVR or network?
I think this is a cool idea. You can use it to see how close your bow or stern is to something without leaving the helm. Or just to see what's coming up behind you. You might consider starting with a cheap board camera from ebay. If you ruin it, you're only out 30 bucks or so. You could get focus dialed in and then embed it in clear epoxy, and not worry about water getting in.

You can get IP board cameras, both poe and regular, but you can also get other communication protocols - usb, hdmi, sdi, etc. If your boat's not too long, you could get a hdmi camera and plug it into a portable monitor of the sort people mount on cameras. I have a couple 'Feelworld' brand ones that work pretty well on 12v, and you just plug in the hdmi directly from the camera. No network necessary.

So let's say you mount the camera in the bow, maybe inside a little housing. You'd bring the cable back to your monitor in the helm. A switch on the helm would control power to the camera and the screen. It'd be pretty simple.

Mikeee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So it would be a as needed install. I have 4 camera I maintain 30' from the sea and they only last a year between the sun flare and the salt water. I am more interested on the night time benefits. I guess my next question is do anyone know a component dahua starlight camera? do they still even make them? Or does anyone else make a very low light similar camera?

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Search ebay for starlight board camera. Add search terms like IP, POE, SDI, HDMI, according to what you're after.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not sure if any Dahua starlight camera component is available. Even considering the usage for nighttime only, the constant salty environment will reduce the lifetime of your cameras. There are costly pressurized enclosure, designed for those particular environments. In my case, instead of looking for “starlight” solutions, will consider an external HP led illuminator to mount at each cameras, while using an outdoor aluminium camera enclosures. It may accommodate a bullet type camera inside. At some point, I still may need to spray fresh water at the wiper, to remove the salt.

BA476887-5643-4D53-B370-C7494A13640F.jpeg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.