Dahua Starlight Night Time tuning/settings

Aragorn-

n3wb
Reaction score
I've setup a bit of a test, trying to decide which cameras to buy to cover our office building (externally). Currently i've got three cameras mounted in the back yard, and ive done some recording from them trying to get an idea of how they fare at night.

The three cams are the HFW5231E-Z5E, HFW5831E-Z5E, and a HFW8232E-ZE.

In their default settings, B&W with IR on, theres not a whole lot between them actually. the 8232 is a bit sharper and clearer than the 5 series cams and the 5831 is very slightly worse than the 5231 in detail out at distance.

In color mode the 5831 is pretty crap (as expected i think), 5231 seemed ok, but oddly with 8232 seemed pretty poor. I juggled some of the settings around like enabling WDR and things, but things didnt seem to help all that much and generally i was looking at very noisey gainy images.

Can anyone suggest what i should be adjusting/tuning to get the best out of these cameras at night? I want to see them at their best so we can decide what route to go.

Cheers
Kev

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest what i should be adjusting/tuning to get the best out of these cameras at night? I want to see them at their best so we can decide what route to go.
There are a lot of threads on this forum explaining why the 82x series is not remarkably better than the 52 series, especially in night scenes.

Regarding your settings: it all depends. Your back yard has other light setting than mine - if you have a lot of "ambient" lightning, from neighbours, street poles, then you can try to try working without the internal IR. If you are more in the dark, it might be an idea to work with external ir illuminators. Or you work with floodlights with a sensor, than you can even opt to keep a color scheme in your camera.

There is no golden rule, except then to "trial & error", try one particular setting overnight, run around dressed as a muppet, post that footage over here. Then we can formulate some next-night advice.

Good luck!
CC