Dahua Starlight question

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If I have a large IR illuminator, is there any reason to buy a Starlight model? My Starlight is great, but with a normal Dahua 4mp for example, will I notice any difference at night since I have lots of IR light available?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
View attachment 17873
The image clarity of the 2 megapixel Starlight sensor is unbelievably better than most non-Starlight 4-MP cameras. It's hard to understand without seeing it.
Post that same camera/view in 2 more hours. I think you are still benefiting from some ambient light from the sunset (8:09pm in Charlotte Tonight) and a 10pm+ will be a better representation. Don't get me wrong, the starlight is awesome but I just want to assure people are seeing accurate IR representation.

Reaction score
Post that same image in 2 more hours. I think you are still benefiting from some ambient light from the sunset and a 10pm+ will be a better representation. Don't get me wrong, the starlight is awesome but I just want to assure people are seeing accurate IR representation.
Yup, agree completely. It's pretty much dark out right now, but your advice is well-founded.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think @nayr made the comment that even during the day, he thought the Starlight turret image quality looked better than the 4MP Dahua cameras he had.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the pics. My Starlight has a rusted female (jack) rj45 and I will most likely buy a new Dahua. I just was not sure if I neeeded Starlight since I have a big illuminator helping the cam out. You cannot beat the Starlight image quality for that price.

Reaction score
Thank you for the pics. My Starlight has a rusted female (jack) rj45 and I will most likely buy a new Dahua. I just was not sure if I neeeded Starlight since I have a big illuminator helping the cam out. You cannot beat the Starlight image quality for that price.
There are at least two threads here with people replacing the RJ45 jacks on their Dahua cameras. That would certainly be more price-effective.

Actually, the best thread is at another forum.
Here's the POE wiring code from Wikipedia.

Last edited: