Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet Z5 7-35mm (IPC-HFW5231E-Z5)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bring you another starlight review, potentially a Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) destroyer we have right here; this is the Higher Varifocal Zoom version of the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW5231E-Z) and it should be basically identical in performance; except it goes all the way to 35mm instead of 12mm.. It also has more powerful IR and a P-Iris for the larger ranges it deals with.

This is a metal full sized bullet, the only noticeable variations over the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) is this has external Audio and Alarm IO for hookup with external microphone/speakers and inputs/outputs such as motion sensors, contact switches, strobes and sirens.. This camera does NOT come with an internal microphone, requires an external one like this bullet mic.

Verdict: All the starlight performance with an even more powerful optics package; 7-35mm is about perfect range for many residential outdoor locations; such as Driveways, Mailboxes, Sidewalks, Sheds, Gates, etc.. It has no wide angle capabilities, but wide angle cameras outdoors pretty much suck for ID purposes, at 12mm the Varifocal Turret will struggle to ID anyone >35ft away at night and most people's targets of interest can be much further away than the ideal mounting point.. One great benefit is this lets you hide cameras at a further distance, like on the back corner of your house and still identify sidewalk traffic.. If you need to hide a camera for any reason then you'll want some flexibility with zoom and this thing will really help in that area.

Quality Night and Day for security use is just as groundbreaking as the other Dahua starlights, the same Sony Starvis sensor is used in it and with this affordable varifocal package this is going to really be a top notch camera without much direct competition.

FYI, There is a Z12 Model of this Starlight Bullet also promised, it will give a 5.3-64mm of optical range; that will be ideal for rural residential use where you may have gates/buildings that are quite a distance away from your install point; this model has yet to appear but it should soon.

more verdict coming soon as I have more time w/this camera.. check back!

Disclaimer: This camera was provided at a discounted price in exchange for a fair and unbiased review by @EMPIRETECANDY

Features
  • 1/2.8” 2MP progressive scan Sony Starvis Exmor-R (IMX291) CMOS
  • H.265 & H.264 triple-stream encoding
  • 50/60fps @ 1080p(1920×1080)
  • Minimum Illumination: 0.006 Lux/F1.4 (Color); 0 Lux/F1.4 (IR on)
  • Smart Detection supported (Facial/Tripwire/Intrusion/Audio)
  • WDR(120dB), Day/Night(ICR), 3DNR, AWB, AGC, BLC
  • Multiple network monitoring: Web viewer, CMS(DSS/PSS) & DMSS
  • 7mm ~35mm motorized lens (5x Zoom), 35°~12° HFOV
  • Adjustable P-Iris
  • EXIR LEDs Distance: 100m
  • IP67, PoE (802.3af)
  • Micro SD card memory (128GB Max)
  • External Audio and Alarm IO
Product Page: IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 | Dahua Technology

List Price: ~$190 USD Shipped DHL via @EMPIRETECANDY (PM for Discount)

Downloads:
This is an international model camera, comes unmodified with english translations and is upgradable.

Shipped Firmware:
Screenshot 2017-03-29 15.14.21.png

Updated Firmware:

Label:
IMAG0790.jpg

Micro SD Card Slot is located under a door on bottom side of the bullet

Zoom Demo:

Daytime LPR @ ~100ft
NVR_IPC-HDW4231EM-AS_main_20170329190603.jpg

Nightime LPR @ ~100ft (Custom Settings)
NVR_IPC-HDW4231EM-AS_main_20170329200203.jpg

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The IR is quite a bit more powerful on this bad boy; here is a comparison between the Starlight Varifocal Turret @ 100% IR and the Starlight Varifocal Bullet Z5 @ 100% IR:
NVR_IPC-HDW4231EM-AS_main_20170329194708.jpg NVR_IPC-HDW4231EM-AS_main_20170329194723.jpg

This should really ramp up performance outdoors, even if your running it at 7mm.. more light the better!

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nope, contact him for availability.. thats beyond my paygrade :p

he almost never orders just one; he might have a few of these that could be had.. or you might ask him to get you some.

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
LOl, true. Btw, I've reloaded the page a few times, but still can't get the video to play on my iPad (spinning wheel, no video ever plays). Not sure if it's me or what.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Can't wait to try the ultra WDR version, I've already got at least one application I think this level of zoom will work well for.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Great camera but this is a big sob. Not really a fan of bullets, especially big suckers- on residential. Thanks for these reviews, man! Super helpful!
you won't fit 35mm optics into a turret lol on the upside with 35mm you can stick that sucker pretty far away from whatever it is watching.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great camera but this is a big sob. Not really a fan of bullets, especially big suckers- on residential. Thanks for these reviews, man! Super helpful!
Says the man with a big PTZ mounted next to his front door.. :p

Wish they offered this in a turret but the optics get longer for some reason, huh.. ;)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you listed it on any of your AliExpress stores yet? I'll link to it in first post when yeh do.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Says the man with a big PTZ mounted next to his front door.. :p

Wish they offered this in a turret but the optics get longer for some reason, huh.. ;)
LOL! True- just squeaked by with that one! Actually it's the side of the house. Never would have flown right at the front door.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
LOL! True- just squeaked by with that one! Actually it's the side of the house. Never would have flown right at the front door.
Damn, I just had a flashback, your youtube videos were stuff I was watching when I first got into security cameras lol! You might need some newer ones.