Dahua Starlight Varifocal: Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) vs Bullet (IPC-HFW5231E-Z)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between
A) Starlight varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) or
B) Starlight varifocal Bullet (IPC-HFW5231E-Z)

The bullet has alarm I/O. Appealing. I might put a strobe light next to the cam.
The turret has built in mic. Appealing. (versus an external mic using poe splitter)

Yes, a built-in mic isn't as effective as an external mic. But this cam will be mounted about 15ft from where my neighbor parks their cars. So a very effective mic means I'm closer to crossing the threshold, legally speaking, about "recording persons without their permission".

The cameras seem identical in all other respects.

Am I overlooking anything?

Fastb

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They are the same cameras in different housings, turrets never seem to come with AlarmIO.. performance will be identical, its just what format you prefer.

The Starlight Varifocal Bullets have yet to make anyone's stock.. if thats the one you want, then you may be waiting longer as the turrets are likely to be in abundance before the bullet

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
They are the same cameras in different housings, turrets never seem to come with AlarmIO.. performance will be identical, its just what format you prefer.

The Starlight Varifocal Bullets have yet to make anyone's stock.. if thats the one you want, then you may be waiting longer as the turrets are likely to be in abundance before the bullet
The bullet one HFW5231E-Z the same size as the HFW8232E-Z. I have some now for the bullet HFW5231E-Z

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
sorry guys, too busy today, we have a container items ship to Japan today, so today will be crazy busy..
175usd for the HFW5231E-Z, because this one much bigger than the turret ones, so shipping cost little higher to US.
HDW5231R-Z still not new stock in, struggling now~
SD59225U-HNI stock in 3pcs left.
SD59230U-HNI has 2 left.
SD49225T-HN, this one can get 5 this week i think.
IPC-HFW5231E-Z 6PCS LEFT.
IPC-HFW8232E-Z 3PCS LEFT.
IPC-HDBW5231R-Z 10PCS LEFT
IPC-HDW4231C-AS 10PCS LEFT.
IPC-HDW4231EM-AS 10pcs left.

That is all for the stock of the starlight ones.

zerach

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll take two of the HFW5231E-Z, left you PM.

I am in Canada, so will have to check shipping. Will talk when you get a chance.

Looks like an awesome bullet, been waiting ever since the original review of the starlight models. May pick up a turret or two for the other locations once more stock, but this will keep me happy for now.

My first post but I have been lurking on this forum for a while, you guys are awesome!