Dahua / Synology set up advice

Superdon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have now set up my Dahua cameras and connected them up to Synology Surveillance Station to record 24/7. Its an old Synology NAS so is only able to run up to version 7 is SS. Its been running for a couple of days and seems ok. Playback on SS is a bit flaky and stuttery though, although live view is fine (although quality not as good as viewing directly on the cams web GUI). I am thinking this is the low power of the NAS. I have alongside this been using tinycam for live views as and when I want a look, which seems to give better pic quality.

I am recording on SS at full resolution. With no alerts or motion detection set up as yet.

I am still not convinced though and have a few queries....

The cameras are currently set up as ONVIF. Should I install the device pack and try and set them up as the correct model?

Am I right in saying that SS won't support the IVS features?

I have read about smartpss. Is it a better solution to set the cam's up to record to folders on the NAS and use smartpss to view? Does it even work like that? Does that support IVS?

As I have said before I don't want to spend more money on this. Ideally I want to use the old NAS as storage. Its just working out how best to make and view the recordings and get alerts.

My long term aim is to have 24/7 recording (is it best to do this at a lower res substream?) And then motion detection/IVS set up to send full res images of any relevant detections. I also want alarms/alerts (push or email) on the IVS detections, ideally with still.imagea and a short clip sent to me.

Any input would be appreciated to get thing set up as best as possible with the equipment I have.

Superdon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Anyone help? I am slightly overwhelmed and want to get things set up right from the start

Reaction score
Anyone help? I am slightly overwhelmed and want to get things set up right from the start
Your guess is correct. Surveillance Station, your version at least, won't support IVS. That's done in the camera itself, anyway. I hope you have alot of free space on your NAS. If you record at 1080P your going to suck up alot of disk space. I have 8TB and it's only good for a couple of weeks of recording, with (6) Dahua cameras. If you go for the lower res, you lose detail, especially at night. Sorry, no experience with using SmartPSS for recording on a NAS. Best solution for this is to use an NVR from the manufacturer of the cameras. It's going to be alot more integrated and have all the features the cameras will support. Less troublesome, too.

Superdon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cheers. Didn't want to spend on a NVR.

Just wanted to get best out of what I have.

I only have the two cameras and only need a very max of 2 weeks retention but normally a few days will be fine.

Testing seems to be going well. Just need help setting up motion detection and alerts now.