Dahua TiOC 2.0 - Human Detection

DaveInFL

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased an IPC-HDW3449H-AS-PV-S3 (thanks Andy). This is an Active Deterrence camera with a 4MP sensor and a 3.6mm lens.

I'm looking for recommendations on how to optimize the camera settings for Human Detection. I don't care about the visual quality of the image since I have other cameras for that requirement. Unfortunately, I can't find any guidance about which camera settings (if any) impact the Human Detection algorithm of the camera. Currently it is working fairly well but want to do what I can to achieve optimum performance.

Here's my current setup:

Running only one IVS Intrusion rule. It is set to detect a Human inside a box. The box consumes about 65% of the visible image. The Sensitivity is set to 10 (the max). The Target Filter Max size is set to the maximum and the Min size to 0,0.

The Video Encoding is set to H.265 with AI Codec. The Frame Rate is 15 FPS with an I-Frame Interval of 15.

All other settings are default.

Thanks for any feedback.

DaveInFL

DaveInFL

n3wb
Reaction score
whats the mounting height?
It's mounted at about 20 feet. Here's my original thread with my planned setup. I ended up mounting it a little lower than planned.

Dahua Camera for Loitering Detection? | IP Cam Talk

I have found that mounting lower won't work for my application. Due to the viewing angle, it's not possible to get the Human target to be fully contained within the Intrusion box.

I'm not "Unhappy" with the current operation but any improvements are welcome.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some of the active deterrence cameras have the global config tab and some don't. I have the IPC-HFW3449T1-AS-PV and it has it. I thought it was only the 8MP that didn't have it.

Make sure you are using Internet Explorer our you might not see the Global Config option.

I find it to be a great overview camera, but we see too many here get one and install it on the 2nd floor and complain that they cannot IDENTIFY anyone - that isn't the camera's fault, it is the location - any 2.8mm camera installed on the 2nd floor is not going to IDENTIFY a stranger. But it sounds like you recognize that already and plan to use it for the active deterrence features.

As with any camera, this camera works best if you take it off default settings and dial it in to your field of view. The camera needs enough contrast difference to be able to AI a human.

DaveInFL

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure you are using Internet Explorer our you might not see the Global Config option.

The camera needs enough contrast difference to be able to AI a human.
Thanks for the suggestion but there is no Global Config option for this camera.

I'll try increasing the Contrast.

Unfortunately, there's an infinite number of combinations that can be tried with the various settings. I just don't know if changing them has any effect on the Human detection algorithm? For all I know, the AI software could process the raw image data so changing the various camera parameters may have no impact?

I would estimate that my setup is currently about 80% accurate; 20% of the time it doesn't detect a person or a vehicle is identified as a human. I plan to decrease the Max size setting to see if I can reduce the number of vehicles identified as a human. It has been operational for only a few days so I need to gather more data.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The AI is absolutely based on the parameter settings you give it. I can swing mine on the extreme ends and it won't ID at all.

Make sure you are using Internet Explorer - Edge or Chrome may not show that global config tab.

DaveInFL

n3wb
Reaction score
For whatever reason there is definitely not any type of Global IVS setup or calibration option for this camera. This is a TiOC 2.0 camera so I assume it is "Improved" and calibration is no longer needed? Obviously, that could be a very bad assumption! See the attached Internet Explorer screenshots.

I don't know if the Video stream settings have any impact on the AI algorithm but I chose the AI Codec option because it appeared to be the preferred choice? This setting definitely makes the displayed video somewhat blurry but that's not important for my use.

I just reduced the Max size setting for the IVS rule so I'll see if that improves false detections.

Thanks for the feedback or any other thoughts!

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Turn Smart Codec off.

Go to H264 and 8192 bitrate with CBR.

Keep FPS and iframes at 15

and then all will be fine with this camera (or certainly better than you have now).

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try making your intrusion box a little smaller so the camera AI can identify the target Before it crosses the boundary line. I also always reboot the camera when I make IVS changes.