Dahua updates and upgrades

NGL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.

In late 2017 I installed 1 HDW5231R ZE and 2 HDW5631R-ZE at our house.
Since then I have not done anything to the cameras in terms of flashing firmware etc. All of them run w/ B;ueIris on a dedicated laptop with no problems at all.

My question is:

After 4 years is there anything I should be doing that I am not from a SW perspective? Or if its working just leave it all alone.

Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LEAVE IT ALONE!

Usually a firmware update is to fix a security vulnerability, which if your cameras are isolated from the internet, then the update does you no good.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need. A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind, and a certain Dahua PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind, a Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen. Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

If you do decide to update, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1631194471913.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Assuming that they're doing what you want well and you have them blocked both ways from the outside world, I'd leave them alone.

There were some vulnerabilities found that likely affect the firmware that they're running if exposed. And they may "phone home" in some ways but you may find that with later firmware too.

NGL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys.. I bought all these from Andy at King Security .. if that matters...

The ONLY issue I have is one of my cameras keeps resetting the date/time back to its default which is 2017 .. Today I logged into the GUI via the IP address and unchecked "automatic reboot" hoping that solves the problem..

But I agree, if it works leave it alone .. just didnt know if something game changing has happened since purchase.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks guys.. I bought all these from Andy at King Security .. if that matters...

The ONLY issue I have is one of my cameras keeps resetting the date/time back to its default which is 2017 .. Today I logged into the GUI via the IP address and unchecked "automatic reboot" hoping that solves the problem..

But I agree, if it works leave it alone .. just didnt know if something game changing has happened since purchase.
The game changing occurred when the 5231's were retired, and replaced by the current king of the hill the 5442 series of cams.
As stated, if it's not broken don't fix it.