Dahua Upgrade Camera Options

c_snyder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm looking for some input on upgrading an existing camera system. The current cameras installed are Lorex brand, model LBV2521. They are bullet configuration, 1080p analog. The building I'm working with is a 1500 sq ft office, 32x47 feet in size. The north side is 24 feet from the road with a driveway, well lit by two 60 watt wall sconces and a street lamp. The west, south and east sides are all open grass with no obstructions. Flood lighting is provided on each of those sides by 2400lm lamps. Right now the current configuration is a bullet camera in each corner, providing near 100% coverage around the building. They've worked flawless but they are analog 1080p and after reading the forums here, it's pretty obvious there are much better solutions out there.

After some endless reading I tried to narrow it down to several models. Now i'll admit, before coming here I was stuck on 4K this, 4K that and everything in the marketing. I get that the starlight models are preferred here and my final choices ended up being those. When it comes to bullets vs turrets, I feel like turrets would look nicer to install this time around. Bullets are acceptable though. Below is the list i'm picking from.

DH-IPC-HFW5442T-ASE-NI - bullet (no IR)
This is probably lower on the list as it's pretty big, 9.6 inches. It's 4MP, 3.6mm with a lux rating of .001@F1.0. 1/1.8 sensor.

DH-IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE - turret
4MP 2.8mm/3.6mm/6.0mm lux rating of .002@F1.6. 1/1.8 sensor.

DH-IPC-HFW5442E-SE - bullet 7.1 inch
4MP 2.8mm/3.6mm/6.0mm lux rating of .002@F1.6. 1/1.8 sensor.

DH-IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - dome (no IR)
4MP 3.6mm lux rating .001@F1.0. 1/1.8 sensor.

This one is just thrown in for opinion. It's 4K but im guessing it will not do as well.

DH-IPC-HFW1831E
8MP 2.8mm/4mm/6mm lux rating .003@F1.6. 1/1.8 sensor.

The current cameras I have are 2MP 1/2.7 sensor .200 lux 3.6mm/F2.1. I've already purchased all of the cat6 ethernet to run so all that's left is to get the NVR and cameras. For an NVR im leaning towards the dahua 4104/4108-P-4KS2 or the 4104/4108HS-P-4KS2. The HS looks to be more of a rack mount compact 1U type enclosure. I almost went with a Lorex kit that comes with 8MP cameras until I discovered this forum. The model number for those is E861ABB. They are 1/1.8 sensor but I couldn't find exactly which dahua camera they are rebranded from. Hopefully i'm on the right track! Any input is appreciated in advance. I'm leaning towards the HDW5442TM-ASE or the HFW5442E-SE. I like that they have some AI features. I really like the ASE-NI but 9.6 inches is pushing it as far as aesthetics. I'm also guessing these starlight models are better than the lorex E861abb cameras.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Welcome to the land of video surveillance lunatics. Be sure to check the WiKI, in the blue bar at the top of the page. Study, carefully on a real computer, the Cliff Notes in there. There is also a lot of other good information for sizing a system and keeping it safe on the internet, foil the "phone home" features. Read, study plan, ask questions, revise plans and test before spending money. It'll save you time, frustration and money in the end. There's tons of reviews here on cameras, and NVRs to help confuse you even more when trying to make a decision.

The current, popular, 4MP, Starlight is the IPC-T5442TM-AS. No white light LEDs and the IR is controllable to either turn it on, auto, or shut off. I have one and it does very well with ambient light from a single street light about 200 feet away, and behind, the camera. I'd suggest contacting Andy, his address is in the Cliff Notes, for Dahua equipment.

c_snyder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! There is definitely a lot of light available which is good. I think i'll buy one of the IPC-T5442TM-AS starlights and test it out. This system doesn't have to be operational until spring and I know there will be at least one place i can use the starlight turret so it wouldn't hurt to buy one now.

I noticed that the full color F1.0 cameras don't have IR leds in them. I'm assuming they rely on ambient light. Would this mean IR floodlights are no good with these particular cameras?

We had an incident at one of our facilities last week and when giving the video & photos to the police I noticed that they weren't the best. I looked up the specs for those cameras the next day and they are 4MP 1/3 sensor F2.0 units. .38 lux. I knew nothing about all of this when I put those up and now i'm thinking they are going to get replaced with some starlights. :D They work well during the day but night.. yeah not so much.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5442 uses a 1/2.7" sensor and it seems to be the sweet spot. I have a 5231R-ZE, 2MP, and the 5442 actually does better in low light than it does and the 5231 was the "flagship" low light 2MP camera.

IR floods are fine because you can force it into B&W mode which brings up the IR cut filter. It also has onboard IR. It works well with IR as well. Either way it's a good, low light, 4MP camera. There is another model in the 5442 series with built in, white, LED floods that turn on instead of IRs and it stays in color mode full time that way. White LED floods might not be what you're looking for, though, kind of attracts attention to the camera location.

Here's a screen capture of mine the other night. Granted there was a full moon to help.

5442.JPG

Here's one from tonight and it's raining so no moonlight at all.

5442_rainy night.JPG

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5442 4MP model has a respected 1/1.8" sensor :lol: Its a serious contender to cameras that sell for 5x the price