Dahua users deal with weird firmware? Other brands (Hikvision) not have problem?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been following discussion about firmware on this forum. Do current Dahua cameras with English interface have the issue with firmware that requires plugins? Or is that only an issue with older stuff? I'm not really sure how to tell the new from the old and what I might run into firmware wise. Are the more expensive Dahuas from EmpireAndy's sites English with the latest firmware and working mic?

Do other brands like Hikvision not have these firmware issues where the English version is subpar?

I'm also concerned about cameras sending stuff to servers in China. Is this user error or a real thing? Or is it an issue with buying hardware from shady vendors? I know I can firewall things, but if I'm making a purchasing decision, I'd rather buy from a good company rather than bad.

I'm looking for a IP camera for general residential security, but also has a nice microphone to listen in on kids playing in the yard while I cook.

Last edited:

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi there! Welcome!

Lots of questions, let's drill through them:
  • if you call @EMPIRETECANDY camera's expensive, then you should check out domestic Dahua camera sellers. In my region, Andy was more than 30-40% less expensive!
  • all his camera's (unless specified otherwise) are pure English. And can be updated! Unless the real-cheap-@ss replica's (eg upgraded Engrish-Chinese dahua cook-off's)
  • the recent v4 firmware versions (both Camera and NVR) do not require any plugin anymore. So check your camera and the linked firmware
  • no idea about hik
  • if a camera has a mic, that mic works.
  • if you need push notifications, you need somehow somewhere some connection to 3rd party systems (being google for android and apple for iOS). If Chinese spies can watch it or not, I leave that in between these dots --> . . In any case, if you do not use any P2P / smartstart systems, you are already half way there!

Good luck!
CC

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not really sure how to tell the new from the old and what I might run into firmware wise.
Most of the popular Dahua models have owner review threads here where you can ask if you’re unsure.

Also Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY) usually makes the latest versions of firmware available in his vendor sub-forum on the site here. Each firmware upgrade gets its own thread, so be sure to read through the comments to see if there are any issues that other forum members may have run into.

I was impressed that Dahua updated the firmware that runs on the 5231 Starlight varifocal turret so that it doesn’t require a web plugin. That model came out back in 2016. Granted the same Dahua firmware usually runs on many different models so the 5231 was probably the side-effect of a newer model using the same firmware getting the no-plugin update, but still ... :)

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there! Welcome!

Lots of questions, let's drill through them:
Thanks for the reply. I should have been more specific - the cheap chinese->english version of Dahua compared to Andy's. I have no problems with Andy's prices compared to comparable Dahua :)

I'm currently testing out shinobi as my NVR, and reverse proxy/vpn for remote access. Might shell out for BI if that doesn't work out, but I don't want to have to buy a Windows box.