Dahua, water in camera

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Why is there water in my camera, and how can I dry it out?

P5070578.JPG

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
The most common reasons for condensation in a security camera is poor gasket sealing to the lens assembly. Next is temperature differential of the glass vs outside environment.

When the environment sees extremely high humidity or rain fall a camera that isn’t well sealed will exhibit this issue. This is why it’s important to install the camera on a bench and let run for several hours prior to fixed mounting especially true during winter months.

As the internal temperature will have displaced any moisture inside of the unit. The reverse is also true where you leave the unit outside to acclimate to its environment and thus allow the camera to come up to temperature which reduces fogging / condensation.

Your only choice is to leave it up there in hopes the summer temps will dry it out. Or take it down and separate the lens from the glass and clean it off. Prior to doing so you’ll want to apply some anti fog spray to the interior of the glass lens.

This will reduce fogging but does not address moisture buildup when the root cause is extreme temperature differential and air leakage.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have also had this happen when the SD card cover was not seated right.
Make sure the o ring is in the correct slot, and it is sealed all the way around, not cock eyed.

Dry it out all the way, replace the silica gel, and seal it all back up.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ll add one of the ghetto ways to remove moisture if taking the camera apart is too hard is to use a hair dryer / heat gun or to place the camera in a toaster oven.

It goes without saying using a heat gun / toaster oven requires a high level of caution and safety!

You can easily melt soft plastic components or hardware. Proper distance of the heat gun while moving it around is a given. Wrapping the camera in multi layers of foil set to a moderate temperature is also a given.

Good Luck . . .

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I would take the camera apart dry it out and grease the seals before putting a new silica bag inside. I had a BMW 435D with LED headlights and it was common for them to mist up like your camera but putting silica bags inside sorted this problem straight away.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I would take the camera apart dry it out and grease the seals before putting a new silica bag inside. I had a BMW 435D with LED headlights and it was common for them to mist up like your camera but putting silica bags inside sorted this problem straight away.
I’ll add if you don’t or want to purchase a new silica packet. You can place the same in the oven to dry it out and reuse. You can usually get another year or two out of one going this route.

Cost you nothing but time . . .

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ll add if you don’t or want to purchase a new silica packet. You can place the same in the oven to dry it out and reuse. You can usually get another year or two out of one going this route.

Cost you nothing but time . . .
Not all Silica can be dried in the oven unfortunately so best to buy new for around $2

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Best to remove any cover/s, and place in a full size oven to bake out moisture. Toaster ovens have too much of a temperature swing. Probably around 160 - 200F for at least a day. It takes a while to get the moisture out of the PCB also. If you leave as is, it will be like steam bath and reduce life of camera. Sooner is better. Be sure to check seals when cover is off.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I ended up just removing the cover, wiping the lens, and putting a fan on it. it's now back up and working. time will tell if this keeps happening?

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
air-dried it, then it worked for another three days till this morning. now my NVR says can not find the network host?
does this mean that the camera is dead?
of what should I try?
Thanks

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
air-dried it, then it worked for another three days till this morning. now my NVR says can not find the network host?
does this mean that the camera is dead?
of what should I try?
Thanks
Assuming it’s just a connection problem I’d inspect, clean, and lube both ends of the RJ45 connector. If both have been confirmed as good insure the other end connecting the NVR is fine too.

You can also try to power it with 12 VDC and connect a new Ethernet cable to see if there’s a difference.

The next step would be to hard reset the camera to factor default and see if it comes back up.

The last two steps require you to pull the camera down to test and reset.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Assuming it’s just a connection problem I’d inspect, clean, and lube both ends of the RJ45 connector. If both have been confirmed as good insure the other end connecting the NVR is fine too.

You can also try to power it with 12 VDC and connect a new Ethernet cable to see if there’s a difference.

The next step would be to hard reset the camera to factor default and see if it comes back up.

The last two steps require you to pull the camera down to test and reset.
Thanks, I cut back the wiring outside about two inches and it is working again.
Thanks

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I cut back the wiring outside about two inches and it is working again.
Thanks
Awesome to hear now be mindful to have applied some dielectric grease to the RJ45 (Both Ends) to inhibit air & moisture to stave off corrosion. If the connector is using a water tight coupler you're good to go. If not, use some self sealing tape to prevent air & moisture from entering the connection.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Awesome to hear now be mindful to have applied some dielectric grease to the RJ45 (Both Ends) to inhibit air & moisture to stave off corrosion. If the connector is using a water tight coupler you're good to go. If not, use some self sealing tape to prevent air & moisture from entering the connection.
yes, I have water-tight couplers in them, it probably was a pinched wire.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd add a layer of self vulcanizing tape, like Coax Seal, and extend it an inch past the "watertight" connector and then wrap it with a couple of layers of quality electrical tape, like 3M 33+ or better, extending that and inch past the self vulcanizing tape.