Dahua Web plugin has stopped working in Firefox

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you using the 32 bit Firefox? I'm running 64 bit Firefox ESR 52.5.2 and the plugin doesn't work. I use 32 bit Pale Moon to log into the cameras and nvr. The plugin does not work with 64 bit Pale Moon.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
http://palemoon.org
plugins are typically 32 bit so you have to use a 32 bit (x86) browser. I use palemoon for cameras only and more secure browsers without plugin support for everything else.

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A police detective visited me today to obtain video footage that my Starlights picked up from a theft across the street. It was a bit embarrassing seeing me struggle with these damn Dahua/browser issues trying to save some footage to a USB stick. I had to lug a monitor and keyboard into my security closet to connect to the NVR just to be able to get a fully functional playback interface with a timeline that worked. I finally got what he needed and even converted it to AVI for him. He was most impressed with the image quality given the distance and darkness. Thank goodness he was so patient.

Anyway back to the OP, I've had the best luck using Chrome's IE tab to access the cameras or NVR for configuring them, with the huge exception that the bottom green timeline to advance to a specific time period is not visible. Everything else works OK but that.

So the problem I was having with not being able to run webplugin.exe with FF ESR was that I was using the 64bit version. I just replaced it with the 32bit 52.7.3 ESR and now when accessing the Dahua NVR, before I can even login, I am prompted to allow running NPMEDIA.DLL. A quick check of that DLL indicates that it is "suspicious" (malware), so I selected "continue blocking". Oops, now the NVR won't even let me login. Do you all really trust these DLL's, Plugins, ActiveX? Is Dahua ever going to modernize their browser interface for displaying video?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A police detective visited me today to obtain video footage that my Starlights picked up from a theft across the street. It was a bit embarrassing seeing me struggle with these damn Dahua/browser issues trying to save some footage to a USB stick. I had to lug a monitor and keyboard into my security closet to connect to the NVR just to be able to get a fully functional playback interface with a timeline that worked. I finally got what he needed and even converted it to AVI for him. He was most impressed with the image quality given the distance and darkness. Thank goodness he was so patient.

Anyway back to the OP, I've had the best luck using Chrome's IE tab to access the cameras or NVR for configuring them, with the huge exception that the bottom green timeline to advance to a specific time period is not visible. Everything else works OK but that.

So the problem I was having with not being able to run webplugin.exe with FF ESR was that I was using the 64bit version. I just replaced it with the 32bit 52.7.3 ESR and now when accessing the Dahua NVR, before I can even login, I am prompted to allow running NPMEDIA.DLL. A quick check of that DLL indicates that it is "suspicious" (malware), so I selected "continue blocking". Oops, now the NVR won't even let me login. Do you all really trust these DLL's, Plugins, ActiveX? Is Dahua ever going to modernize their browser interface for displaying video?
SmartPSS would have worked well to pull footage off of the NVR. There's also a NACL chrome app that works (for now), you just have to launch the app to use it.

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks Tangent - I really appreciate the tip! I did not know about this app. Smart PSS is working great to export video footage from the Dahua NVR. I especially like the option to export MP4 or AVI directly without having to convert.

Gin

n3wb
Reaction score
By adding something called an "IE Tab Extension" to Chrome everything works.
Thanks, but this fix only works on Chrome when on Windows, and not Chrome when running in Linux. (The 'IE Tab' extension still needs to run code which calls the IE engine. Not possible on Linux.)

So Dahua and HikVision cameras have exactly the same problem. Both still use the buggy, slow, insecure and outdated Netscape era interface. lol.

So far only the SV3C camera I have works w/ FireFox and Chrome in Linux. Funny that the smaller company fixed the issue first.

Natica

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, thanks all for your suggetions, Frank van der Heide in his post #16 have written a method that i've tried with no success, but also reading previous post those has inspired me a modify, i've noticed the parameter "plugin.state.npmedia", i've put a Value=2 and now the video is perfectly visible from my Dahua 2mp Camera on my Seamonkey browser ver.2.49.4 based on Firefox 52.6. Bye...

PS: to isolate the plugin parameters write in the upper field "plugin."