Dahua's Main Competitor Is... Dahua!

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Catchy title fishing for some chitchat comparing some of the latest low-light offerings against old favourites. Some of these cams seem really close to one another in specs, and I wonder how much is being missed in such a simplistic comparison of numbers and feature check-boxes. So how about some discussion of observations from those who have a cross-section of experience? Me... I've just got a few IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE and IPC-HDW2231R-ZS, but am on the cusp of buying a few more cams.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
There's always going to be new model churning up, I wouldn't get too over-hyped with numbers and only buy what you need and not want. There are some instances where a newer model will contain new features (i.e. AI) and justify the upgrading process. However, newer is not necessarily better. The 5231 Varifocal is still the standard for those in need of a varifocal turret.

KCO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Check out IPC-HDW2231TM-AS-S2 if you find the spec interesting considering the price

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got a few IPC-HDW4431C-A that are about 3.5 years old now and they get the job done. I'm sort-of in the market for a few more cams - I'm curious about this "active deterrence" thing - what is it, how does it work? Also, are there any cheap 2 to 4 mp cameras that have IR motion-sensor built-in?

Do you know what would be cool? How about a camera that has a strong IR + Visible LED. At night it operates in IR mode with the IR light, but when it triggers on something it turns the visible white-light on and changes to color mode to get a good picture of the suspect. Now tell me a camera that does that!

Last edited: