Dahuna NVR comparison

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm looking at two different Dahua NVR, and I really don't see much difference between them. Other than the obvious of one having POE and the other not.

Curious if anyone else is seeing anything different?

5432-16P-EI and the 5432-XI

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The XI is the newest model and basically supports more on-board AI functions. That seems to be the biggest difference

Personally I'm not over the moon about heavy NVR AI. You lose almost 50% of incoming bandwidth capability when you enable it, and most of the cameras we are using have just as good if not better AI so there isnt that great of a need to have the NVR do the AI.
Just my opinion, YMMV

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Both units have some on-board AI processing.
The 5432-XI is a WizMind and has more built-in AI processing than the 5432-EI WizSense.

'AI by recorder' - The NVR can do the stated function from the camera video stream. This means you could use an old camera which does not support a function or a generic brand of camera.
'AI by Camera' - This relies on the camera having the stated AI function built into it. E.g. Most Dahua IP cameras have IVS built in.

E.g. The 5432-XI has 'AI by recorder' video metadata processing, but the EI model does not.
I use video metadata on my own NVR, so that I can search for every person/vehicle/bike seen and search by color.
1708226334671.png

Also the XI model supports more 'AI by recorder' functions. E.g. XI can do 24 channels with IVS and the EI can do 4 channels. There is an example of AI by recorder IVS if you have more than 4 older IP cameras which does not have AI by camera IVS.
Both support all 32 channels having IVS if the camera does the processing (AI by Camera).

Attachments

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So if I were to use the metadata on the NVR, then that would end up lower the bandwidth to 200Mbps instead of 384?

I'm using right around 210Mbps with 15 cameras at the moment, which means I would have to lower resolution, etc... to get it under 200.
Which would almost mean running 2 NVR if I wanted to use the onboard AI, and wanting more than 16 cameras.

I imagine DMSS supports more than 1 NVR... hmmmm

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So if I were to use the metadata on the NVR, then that would end up lower the bandwidth to 200Mbps instead of 384?

I'm using right around 210Mbps with 15 cameras at the moment, which means I would have to lower resolution, etc... to get it under 200.
Which would almost mean running 2 NVR if I wanted to use the onboard AI, and wanting more than 16 cameras.
5xxx-XI is a new edition to Dahua NVR line and it is cheaper cut version of top of the line 6xx-XI series...

If You looking for mixing AI functions done on NVR (like video meta data - to analyse human / vehicles attributes like sex, height, age, color, car brand and plate number) with lots of cams (use of lots of bandwidth) You should look for 6xx-XI series instead 5xxx-XI... is supports 1024 mbit of bandwidth without AI and 512 mbit with AI functions done on NVR..

In latest firmware revisions Dahua allowed on 6xx-XI to mix AcuPick function (looking for the same looking person/vehicle as selected from any video on all stored footage from all AcuPick cams) with any other classic AI mode run on NVR (+AI functions done on cam) on the same channel...

in case newest Dahua cams (5xxx-S3 WizMind-S) this allows to have IVS (run on cam) + AcuPick + Video Meta Data with LPR (both run on NVR) on the same channel. lots of AI goodness ;)

There are limits on how many Chanels It can run those functions, but usually video meta data are needed only for a few cams (public streets/roads)...

Zrzut ekranu 2024-02-18 o 19.50.48.png

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes I believe so, its AI

Yes SmartPSS and DMSS will support multiple NVRs for viewing, playback, etc
Ok, thanks. Think I'll look into running two NVR then. Might go for the XI since I doubt I'll be running 16 more cameras on the new one, more likely around 8.

Yes, I've looked the the 6-XI series, but don't really want to pay $1000+ for it. Now, if this were my first and only NVR, yeah I might have gone that route, but...

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. Think I'll look into running two NVR then. Might go for the XI since I doubt I'll be running 16 more cameras on the new one, more likely around 8.

Yes, I've looked the the 6-XI series, but don't really want to pay $1000+ for it. Now, if this were my first and only NVR, yeah I might have gone that route, but...
if you using multiple NVR on the same site, 6xx-XI supports:
  • up to 128 cams,
  • 8 disk swappable from front with full RAID support (there are 61x line with even more HDD),
  • 4 HDMI outputs (plus 2 VGA).. I saw video where it worked with 6 monitors (each displaying different views)...
  • lots of CPU/AI power and bandwidth to support bigger systems..

from HW side, very different NVR comparing to normal NVR lines...

ps. 5xxx-XI was added 2-3 weeks ago on Dahua website, I don't know is it available now in distribution.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Time to go to the BI side :lmao:

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Time to go to the BI side :lmao:
Not sure I'll ever do that. I have trouble enough trying to get a smart switch with VLAN set up. I'm just not with it when it comes to what I call the software side of things.
Build a computer? No problem... but software side? :sigh:

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But with the right model camera, you can do metadata without the NVR doing it.

I'm testing my Z4-S3 now with an older 5216-16P-4KS2E
If you use metadata, does that mean you can't set up a IVS? I guess I really need to read up on what does what.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes its a choice. But I think I can run IVS on the NVR-- testing
Oh, so I could run the metadata on the NVR and IVS on the camera with the XI. Ahhh.. I really, REALLY need to dig deeper into all this. I'm probably not using things 1/2 of what I could be.

The more I learn I realize I don't know squat.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh, so I could run the metadata on the NVR and IVS on the camera with the XI. Ahhh.. I really, REALLY need to dig deeper into all this. I'm probably not using things 1/2 of what I could be.
Dahua AI cams have something called Smart Plan.
You choose which AI function You run on cam. Usually You can choose only one, but in latest models there are situations where You can run two AI functions (but in only very specific combinations).

Usually with IVS you can run SMD.
on latest 5xxx-S3 You can mix IVS with AcuPick...

On AI NVR, you can add one additional AI function done on NVR per channel. Each function enabled use some AI power on NVR - usually in spec You have information that NVR can run 16 channels of SMD but only 4 of IVS (done on NVR).. between those is OR (not and) - so if You use 4 Chanels of IVS then You will not have power to run any other AI function done on NVR..

So if you have AI camera and AI NVR - then You have usually possibility to run two AI functions per chanel (with some limitations on how many functions/channels can be done on NVR).

6xx-XI with latest firmware is first NVR which allows to run two AI functions done on NVR on one channel - but only in combination of AcuPick + any other AI function.. plus AI functions done on camera... so we have three...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah on my older 5216-16P-4KS2E I can not run IVS on the recorder separate from the camera running Meta Data :(

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Both units have some on-board AI processing.
The 5432-XI is a WizMind and has more built-in AI processing than the 5432-EI WizSense.

'AI by recorder' - The NVR can do the stated function from the camera video stream. This means you could use an old camera which does not support a function or a generic brand of camera.
'AI by Camera' - This relies on the camera having the stated AI function built into it. E.g. Most Dahua IP cameras have IVS built in.

E.g. The 5432-XI has 'AI by recorder' video metadata processing, but the EI model does not.
I use video metadata on my own NVR, so that I can search for every person/vehicle/bike seen and search by color.
View attachment 186768

Also the XI model supports more 'AI by recorder' functions. E.g. XI can do 24 channels with IVS and the EI can do 4 channels. There is an example of AI by recorder IVS if you have more than 4 older IP cameras which does not have AI by camera IVS.
Both support all 32 channels having IVS if the camera does the processing (AI by Camera).
What model NVR are you running that is doing MetaData?

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah I'm running a 4ks2e right now as well.

Ok, now I'm a bit confused. The new 5 series XI... If I have let's say a Color 4k-X camera running, I can set that up using IVS on the camera, intrusion and tripwire, then I could also, on the NVR, set up metadata, or would it be the new Acupick.