Daihua ptz network poe that’s not ENORMOUS

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can anyone from personal experience recommend a pan tilt zoom that i can mount to the side of my house without calling too much attention to the install?
Most of these are much larger than I was hoping. 2mp is fine, and lower power optical zoom is fine (25 etc)
And it’s got to have auto tracking.
Thanks.

Ip 67 please. For NY winter

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just worried about the ip66 vs 67.
That is because you’re a newbie and you don’t yet know what to be worried and what not to be worried about...Unless of course you plan to immerse your cameras in 3 feet of water. Most of my cameras are IP66 and never a problem yet! :)

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well they make such a big deal with cellphones and those arent exposed to the elements. Unless I build a cedar awning over the camera, which would look silly, there are times in the winter where snow will be sitting on top of the camera and melting for hours on end. I would think water sealed is far superior to spray resistant.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well they make such a big deal with cellphones and those arent exposed to the elements. Unless I build a cedar awning over the camera, which would look silly, there are times in the winter where snow will be sitting on top of the camera and melting for hours on end. I would think water sealed is far superior to spray resistant.
ip-rating-chart.png

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the chart. I have seen the verbiage without the visual. It's basically submersion versus heavy spray 7 vs 6. I am just afraid of melting snow getting in. Obviously Heavy Rain would fall under six

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the chart. I have seen the verbiage without the visual. It's basically submersion versus heavy spray 7 vs 6. I am just afraid of melting snow getting in. Obviously Heavy Rain would fall under six
The last link I shared is a full review of that cam, the rest will perform very similar because they use the same sensor.

Many people in much harsher climates than New York successfully use IP66 rated cams for years successfully.
The biggest concern is during install that you water proof all connections to the camera properly. That's where I lot of them fail, due to poor install practices.

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I think a ptz would be great, just seems like ut may be overkill, but it seems like fun. We have no neighbors, live on a culdesac, and are about 200 feet from the road.
If i put one of these in front of my house, it is really no better than a fixed camera, unless someone sneaks through the woods to my front door without a car.

But there goes the "I want" thing again! it would need to have tracking.......
Does yours get a lot of use??

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. I think a ptz would be great, just seems like ut may be overkill, but it seems like fun. We have no neighbors, live on a culdesac, and are about 200 feet from the road.
If i put one of these in front of my house, it is really no better than a fixed camera, unless someone sneaks through the woods to my front door without a car.

But there goes the "I want" thing again! it would need to have tracking.......
Does yours get a lot of use??
My PTZ is on the back of the house, facing a lake. Yes it gets quit a bit of use from my wife and I both.
You can see my install here: I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

for security, more fixed cams are better than a PTZ. A ptz has a high likely hood of looking at the wrong place when something happens.

Auto tracking for most does not work well. And then it takes LOTS of tuning.

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read that earlier and it was fantastic. No lake for us, , just a deer fenced yard with trees and a pool. best bang would be installing towards the street.
Is one able to pick a spot (say my mailbox) 200+ feet away and have the sensor record that area if it senses motion there? with a fixed camera that's always looking at the same place setting a motion detect should be straightforward, but I'm wondering how that works with a camera that can capture different areas