Daisy Chain Switches?

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a Ubiquiti Bridge connecting two buildings approx '2000 feet part. The building (not housing the BI server) has a switch (A) with multiple cameras all within close proximity to each other. I would like to add a couple of more cameras over '300+ feet from that switch. Can I add a POE switch (B) '300 from switch A and then add more cameras on the new switch (B) without problems? Hope that isn't confusing, added diagram.network.png

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
My understanding is a network cable cat 5 or 6 from switch to point of use is ok for distances up to 100m or 330ft. Any longer than that and the preference is to use fibre optic for the run instead.

Sounds like you should be ok but your approaching the limit. Other more knowledgeable members will know about bandwidth degradation and distance or whatever other reasons for this limit. I stick to rules of thumb lol

The fibre option might not be as dear as it sounds. I think many switches come with an sfp port to plug in a copper or optical module to facilitate both methods.

What do others think?

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The limit is, technically, 100 meters or ~328 feet. That limit refers to the distance between two devices, be they switches, routers, PC/switch, PC/router, camera/switch. In reality I have gone as far as 400 feet with no noticeable degradation in speed or high packet losses.

Kaos

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OP, I assume you have 120vac at the location of switch B. If so, no problem. Switch B can be a 100 Mbps but I would make sure switch A is a gigabit switch.
Yes, I have power and both switches are gigabit switches. Thanks

Thanks for all responses, will be working on the project this week.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Ideally you would want a router (if connected to the internet) and connect switches directly to the router's switch ports. Or, you should connect the downstream / secondary switches to a core switch (primary) on the network. This minimizes the number of hops. If you are using VLANS, you would have to configure VLANS on each and every managed switch on the network if they are different brands (i.e. Netgear, TP-Link. Ubiquiti, Zyxel, etc.)

Also, regarding cable, if you are running Solid Copper Cat5/6 wires between your cameras and networking equipment, make sure your patch cables are solid (not stranded) as well