DAISY CHAIN

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How would one go about connecting two unmanaged POE switchs together if you where using a switch such as the Zyxel GS1100-10HP. It has 8 POE slots and 2 open SFP slots. Can you use the SFP slots instead of the POE slots for connection back to the computer thus saving a POE slot.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can. SFP is usually used with fiber optic adapters, but you can get them with RJ45 ports instead if that is simpler.

Example (compatibility not guaranteed!!): http://a.co/ghCcjm2

Generally with IP networking you can connect any port on one switch to any port on another switch, and the two switches will be linked. It is as simple as that. The one thing you do not want to do is create a "loop" by connecting things in such a way that there is more than one path between devices. Some devices can detect this and automatically shut down one of the links but not everything is that smart and it can take your network offline until you disconnect the loop.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was hoping to link the two switches using just the SFP ports, not using the POE ports, so as not to lose POE ports. Does that work or does it have to be POE to POE? Just trying to clarify what you stated above. And yes it has to simpler at least for me.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you can link them just using the SFP ports. How far apart are the switches? Maybe you could just use a simpler all-in-one item like this: http://a.co/igEuNYJ

Again, compatibility not guaranteed but if it doesn't work amazon should let you return them.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks that answers all my questions. The switches will be sitting one on top of the other. All-in-one item lost me there.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bummer not what I wanted to hear. Adds to much to the cost of the switch.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe, but the Zyxel adapters compitable with Xyzel switches cost loads more than $20.00. Not into experimenting anymore.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe, but the Zyxel adapters compitable with Xyzel switches cost loads more than $20.00. Not into experimenting anymore.
then buy as many switches as you need to accommodate your cameras...

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That’s the plan just doing a bit of research. I called a seller of these switches and was told nothing else was needed just plug a Cat5 or fiber optic cable into the SFP then another from the other SFP port to the router. Bp2008 shed a different light on the matter. I have more faith in what he says than the seller. The seller was adament nothing else was needed.