Damaged Camera Wire, Possible Solutions?

Reaction score
So, being an impatient individual, rather than using the appropriate hex key to tighten the junction box lid, I used an impact with a hex bit. Unfortunately the data wire from the camera was pinched and cut between the cover and the box itself. PXL_20220122_183131043.jpg
PXL_20220122_183131043.jpg

I was thinking of a couple possible solutions and wanted to see if either one would work.
1. Strip some of the outer insulation back and splice/solder the damaged wires. Seems most likely the best solution.
2. Install a punch down keystone jack at the damaged point. Not sure if this would work but it would help get some of the extra wires out of the box. If this would work does anyone know what color wires correspond to which connection in the jack?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I would assess the damage by stripping back the insulation and then just solder and heat shrink any damaged wires.

Domotek

n3wb
Reaction score
You could cut the wire. Check the pinout on the connector with continuity mode of a multimeter and then connect a keystone or any other RJ45 outlet to it. That's how i would do it. And as a last resort you could just check the pinout and connect the wires with scotchlocks directly.