Dark camera before IR comes on

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
does anyone know why both of these cameras go totally dark for about 10 minutes before the IR comes on like in the right photo?

I resent it back to factory defaults but still dark.

Thanks

1666567375412.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
In the camera GUI config under conditions go to "illumiator" and set it to "low" with the shortest delay in the dropdown list.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's quite a contrast you have there with the bright sky and the dark silhouette of your trees.
It's likely fooling the light sensor before switching to IR mode.
Do you also have IR mode set to come on based on light conditions?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could it be the changing location of the sunset has caused this issue that wasn't there in the summer? And if they are cameras that have been there years, perhaps the direct sun at those angles has degraded the sensor over time.

It is best to set up a day profile and a night profile and use BI to switch between the two and then have the parameters dialed in for day and night.

You would set the Night Profile to be forced B/W instead of auto and then it will kick in earlier.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
you could also ( if it has the feature) slow down the Day Mode manual shutter setting to a range of like .25-20 milleseconds. or even 30 milliseconds to capture that last bit of daytime light before it switches to Night Mode

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
but only for a couple minutes until the Reak darkness hits him maybe? just a transitional shutter to help that last dying light contrast until IR kicks in...

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's quite a contrast you have there with the bright sky and the dark silhouette of your trees.
It's likely fooling the light sensor before switching to IR mode.
Do you also have IR mode set to come on based on light conditions?
maybe, however in this photo the camera is also pointing at the same Banana plants
and the camera video was Ok with them there before?

RE: Do you also have IR mode set to come on based on light conditions?
No not sure how to go about that?

Thanks
1666760081463.png

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Could it be the changing location of the sunset has caused this issue that wasn't there in the summer? And if they are cameras that have been there years, perhaps the direct sun at those angles has degraded the sensor over time.

It is best to set up a day profile and a night profile and use BI to switch between the two and then have the parameters dialed in for day and night.

You would set the Night Profile to be forced B/W instead of auto and then it will kick in earlier.
RE: perhaps the direct sun at those angles has degraded the sensor over time.
how would I know if this is the case?
the camera is zoomed out, I tried zooming it in some, and it got lighter, just that then it is not videoing the driveway.

not sure how to set up profiles?

Thanks

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah if you set the day one you're probably setting for dawn not dusk.

If it's still not working try Wittaj's suggestion above of setting a day night schedule via BI. It's a proven method. From memory I believe most set the changeover 10 mins before sunset but probably Wittaj could confirm.

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah if you set the day one you're probably setting for dawn not dusk.

If it's still not working try Wittaj's suggestion above of setting a day night schedule via BI. It's a proven method. From memory I believe most set the changeover 10 mins before sunset but probably Wittaj could confirm.
I am using an NVR not BI
and I'm not sure how to do this.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You go into the camera GUI thru the NVR and after setting up the day and night profile, then go to Conditions>profile management>and select schedule and then draw out the day and night times.

1666813627592.png