Darkfighter Suggestions

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So many options with these cameras.

I currently have a Hikvision 8 camera setup, mounted under the roof of a building. It is a very bad area and wanted the cameras up high so the actual cameras were not stolen or damaged. They are working well, resulting in many stolen bikes being identified and many people being arrested for drugs & assault.

Of course, the problem with being up high is you can't easily do facial identification. We are going to take a chance and put a couple cameras down lower and just replace them when they get damaged or stolen.

Looking for a darkfighter, fixed camera @ 2.8mm. Does anyone have suggestions of a camera currently in production that they have had good results with?

AndyB

n3wb
Reaction score
We've just put in a large installation (24 camera) primarily using the DS-2CD2125FWD-I using the 2.8mm version 1920 × 1080 @30fps and are very pleased with the results on resolution and so far sturdy build.
When you say facial recognition, as in being able to use as evidence to Police or using the actual facial recognition from Hikvision? We've not used that as we are linked to an NVR that doesn't use it. I'd be happy to supply sample pictures if it would help.

To give you an idea, the old camera was similar (not HK manufacturer, but similar design, structure, etc) and we thought we'd put it to the destruction test. It was mounted on a wall outside, flush to the wall. Using a hammer we hit the dome many times and it just bounced off, hitting the metal composite casing it took around 10 blows before the casing was cracking and coming open, once it had an opening we could smash it off the wall. By that time the camera hopefully had a good chance to capture us in the action! Key parts here are to use good masonry bolts to secure the back of it, the stronger adhesion to the wall the longer it'll take to damage it.

Hope that helps.

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We don't need facial recognition (NVR too expensive) but something that we can identify suspects. Really rough area... Shooting in 2018, assaults with baseball bats etc. So getting a good face shot is always a plus.

I've been leaning away from the dome camera as the ones I've tried so far the photo gets messed up if attempting to use the IR lights.

On the other hand a dome camera that had a recessed kit available would be amazing! The criminals would not even notice the cameras. After doing some searching, I see no recess mounting options for any modern fixed dome camera :(

They have some cameras that seem just about exactly the same. What is the major difference between these:

DS-2CD2145FWD-I(S) vs DS-2CD3145G0-IS

Last edited:

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We don't need facial recognition (NVR too expensive) but something that we can identify suspects. Really rough area... Shooting in 2018, assaults with baseball bats etc. So getting a good face shot is always a plus.

I've been leaning away from the dome camera as the ones I've tried so far the photo gets messed up if attempting to use the IR lights.

On the other hand a dome camera that had a recessed kit available would be amazing! The criminals would not even notice the cameras. After doing some searching, I see no recess mounting options for any modern fixed dome camera :(

They have some cameras that seem just about exactly the same. What is the major difference between these:

DS-2CD2145FWD-I(S) vs DS-2CD3145G0-IS
Are you specifically looking for a hikvision camera.

Only reason I ask is I know dahua to a recessed starlight dome that would fit your use case.
I'm not sure if it has ir though

Robert G.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision NVR, so want to stay in the same product line to avoid any compatibility issues.

I have ordered a DS-2CD2145FWD-IS to test, if it works well will grab another couple.