Data Bottleneck question

grendel54

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a question about bottlenecking. Lets say I have 3 cameras that are 200 meters away from my NVR and another that is 300 meters. We'll say im using IPC-T5442T-ZE for example and instead of running 4 separate CAT6 lines I just run one with a POE extender for each camera ( Amazon.com ). Is there any kind of bottleneck problems? How many cameras can I run at full tilt on one cat line without running into data problems?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not a problem. Think about your router - you have how many devices connected to it and it is only one wire from the router to the modem....

Or any switch - a 16 port switch is then connected to the next peripheral with 1 cable not 16...

Now your distance is another issue and bigger issue.

Cat6 is 1,000Mbps. At most each cam is 10Mbps.

Last edited:

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Depends on your equipment. The piece you linked to says 300 Mbps, figure it really can handle 80% of that or 240 Mbps, max. As @wittaj said, use 10 Mbps per camera. But, I wouldn't bet the pieces you linked to will actually do that. But, the should easily handle 2-3, probably 10. Heck, I have a similar piece, a coax converter, running about 100 feet of coax, converting back to ethernet, a POE switch, and a pair of cameras off of that with no issues.

delphinus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Test it and use a very good quality cables with shielding and thicker conductors because they can reach further but some trial and error will be required.

The max distance for an internet cable is 90 meters (295 feet).

delphinus

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Where did you get that number?
The correct overall maximum distance is 100 meters / 328 feet....including any patch cables at both ends.
You are correct.

I am an old guy that in school learn that the maximum length of a Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet cable is about 295 ft. (90 m), plus up to 16 ft. (5 m) of patch cable on either end, for a total of 328 feet or 100 meters, I never count with the patch cable because if a client say that the 2 point to connect are at 100mt he is not including the patch :)

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You may encounter signal degradation with the distance which can make it look/act slower. if the packet has transmission errors, and TCP -protocol acknowledgement packets are not getting back to the sender it may stop sending packets and wait for an ACK packet before it resumes sending. this can look like slow data transfer. Then again, maybe it'll just work.