Database and all recordings randomly deleted - 5.6.0.7

Moonchips

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm a new user to BI and I've run into a very troubling issue. Since BI support is basically non-existant I decided to check here. At some random time during the night the entire BI database, and all associated alerts / recordings (even the files themselves) are wiped from the drive. It is almost as if BI resets to 0 and restarts recording after that point. There doesn't seem to be a log file to review either. Has anyone heard of this happening in the past? What can I do to prevent this from happening? Currently running 5.6.0.7

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Shut off automatic updates. BI updates fairly regularly and they are actually beta tests of new features and fixes for things that got broken in the last update. Sticking with a stable version and shutting off automatic updates will produce the most stable system. Only update to stable versions if you want things to work as smoothly as possible. If you want to experiment update to every new version and risk things being broken.

Moonchips

n3wb
Reaction score
I did a reinstall of the program. Apparently the downloaded executable from the website starts at 5.6.0.7. That seems bizarre that they'd put a beta version front and center. Checking the update function, I see it allows the ability to "Install latest critical or highly-stable update" which is version 5.5.9.6. Should I select that option and downgrade the version?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That will work fine. I've been running 5.5.7.11 for quite a while, like since it got listed as stable, and it's fine. Unless there's something in the release notes that you want/need if it ain't broke don't fix it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Let us know how it works out.

As another aside, the whole 5.6.x.x series has been plagued with database problems. Sometimes a delete and rebuild has brought things back, but in your case I didn't mention that because you said the files have been deleted. The advice on updates still applies though.

Moonchips

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok so update on this:
Reverting versions didn't work.
I looked into the storage configuration link provided by looney2ns and it seems everything checks out except the disabling the Stored and the hard disk formatting recommendation.

However this time I was able to get a log entry and am getting the following information:

5454432.PNG

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe You have not allocated enough space for the folders. The new folder should have 1000 GB for most systems. You have 10 GB.

Screen shots Needed.
1) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)
2) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab

Moonchips

n3wb
Reaction score
As requested, here are the configuration screenshots. The storage indicates there is a little over 5 TB of free space on the drive so why would BI delete everything when the drive is nowhere near capacity?

alerts.PNGclip storage.PNGnew.PNGstored.PNG

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
10GB of storage for New and 20GBof storage for "stored" is not much at all. If you're recording continuously an hour of 2MP is about 2GB and an hour at 4MP is about 4GB.

Again, do not use time for a deletion criteria. Set a size, usually in thousands of gigabytes, only. Keep in min that a TB is 1000 GB. Your total allocation is a whole 30GB.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have incorrect settings.
1) do NOT use time to determine when to delete. On the New folder you have it set to 7 days, uncheck the check box.
2) On the new folder you have the size set to 10GB, It needs to be at least 1000GB. better yet set it to 4500 GB.
3) set new folder to delete, not move.
4) set stored size to zero.

Go back and reread
Storage configuration