Database containing older data than configured

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I hope to get some pointers about an issue I just discovered with my Blue Iris recordings. I have set my storage plan like this: Limited to 50 GB or 1 day goes to New at e:\new. 8000GB or 31 days goes to Stored at e:\BlueIris.
What I discovered is that there are 41 old files (July 2021) using 57GB of space in my New folder, and there are 197 old files (also mostly from July and 1 from September) using 296 GB of space in my Stored folder.

I don't want to risk messing some database up by simply deleting the files, but I'm not sure if that's the risk. Are there any tools for cleaning up Blue Iris storage? Or can I simply delete the old files.

Best regards
Lars

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds like you have changed folders at some point leaving these orphan files out there.

But, there is absolutely no reason to use new and stored on same drive - you are wasting CPU % and killing the drive faster and potentially bottlenecking your system with all that moving everyday.

Very few here use New and Stored - and certainly not New at 1 day.

Just leave it all in New and do not use stored. That is what most here do. And our systems are snappy and responsive.

Have you tried taking the mouse over to the left and left-clicking and go to database and then either compact/repair or maintenance?

As an alternative you can manually delete those files. Worse case is you have to then delete the DB folder and let BI rebuild it. You should probably take another look at your clips and archiving folders and make sure you don't have something else messed up and then do this anyway.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If the clips are marked protected they won't be deleted, and after unmarking may take BI a while to get around to deleting them.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, wittai. I just assumed, since the feature existed, it was best practice to use it.
I now have allocated the full 8TB for "new" library to keep approx. 30 days of recordings there.
I left the allocated size of the old library "BlueIris" at 7TB to not delete recordings premature.
I guess I will then have to shrink my BlueIris library over the next 30 days to delete "older than 30 days" files? I still have 4TB free to play around with.